70-290 MS Press Book

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by anthony micallef, Sep 9, 2009.

1. anthony micallef

anthony micallef Bit Poster

I've just gone through the lesson regarding "Managing Servers with Remote Desktop for Administration". Now one of the Lesson Review questions asks "What would be the best way to give administrators the ability to administer a server remotely through Terminal Services?" Now I picked answer "a" which reads Dont do anything they already have access because they are adminstrators. I picked this answer because in the lesson it tells me that users must belong to the Administrators or Remote Desktop Users Group to successfully connect to the server.

However on reviewing the answers the correct one is "c" - Create a seperate, lower authorisation user acct for Administrators to use daily and place that account in the Remote Desktop For Administrators Group. Now Ive gone through this lesson a few times and no where does it tell me this!!

Has anyone else had this problem with the learning material?

2. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Although I have no experience with this, my guess would be the phrase "best way" is the key.
    Their answer is better because you have control over what users have access to remotely. Surely more secure than giving them full-blown admin permissions, which they would have your way.
    Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be along soon.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  3. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

Alas it doesn't tell you this
    I dont think there is a technical explanation for this incongruity. Its just more secure and as such is considered best

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417
  4. anthony micallef

The question though refers to Administrators and not just normal users.

5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Welcome to the world of MS testing! Seriously, as pointed out: sometimes the best way, production way, easiest way and MS way may not be the same. It's always worth re-reading the question to understand you are sure you know what you are being asked. Sounds easy, but some of the exam require a comprehension exercise as well as finding the correct answer.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  6. demarrer

demarrer Byte Poster

I was doing the exact chapter last night too :)

With this question, I thought about what I do at work i.e I never log into a server as a full blown administrator - so A cant be the right answer. I think maybe as well "administrator" could mean a helpdesk technican level 1 doing the job, not necessarily a user with administrator credentials. If I remember too, in the answer is says its best practise to give people the least amount of priveledge to do a job, so again it has to be answer C.

Hell!! Hope the exam isnt as blurry as the review questions in the book!! :eek:

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
    Certifications: A+, Security +, CCNA, CCSA
    WIP: music, (dreaming of) CCIE Security :D
  7. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

The MS way is to login with a normal account and then when you want to do something Administravely, you should use the Run As to elevate privledeges.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  8. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

This is exactly the reason why it is worth purchasing exam preparation software from one of the trusted companies. Before sitting an exam I have always a)confident in my own mind with all the objectives b)scored highly (higher than the pass mark) consistently on trusted exam preparation software. By trusted, I mean Transcender, Measure-up or Boson.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  9. anthony micallef

So then why doesnt the MS book say that then?

10. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

There are many ways to acheive the same thing using the MS technologies. Learning the technology is one thing but applying that knowledge is something else. It's up to you to decide/learn which is best, easiest, uses the least administrative effort etc etc etc

Right now you're probably pulling this face:blink and this one :x but it does sink in eventually

Theres worse out there than MS when it comes to questions. I find their exam Q's extremely well written and always get on with them much better than Comptias style of writing

I'm trying to imagine how much thicker a MS press book would be if it had to give examples for each:eek:

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417
  11. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I'd be surpised if it doesn't mention anywhere in the book that you should give users the minimum permissions they need to do their jobs. Therefore not every administrator should be an Administrator.
    MS questions quite often require you to tie in 2 or more bits of knowledge from different chapters/objectives. It's a pain if all you want to do is pass the exam. It's good if your goal is to be a better tech.

12. anthony micallef

Thats fair enough but the reason I have this book is to learn, thats no good if it tells you one thing and then when it asks you a question expects a different answer for which it hasnt given you the relevant knowledge yet.

13. anthony micallef

You're right about those faces I'm pulling :) I hope it does start to sink in soon :eek:

14. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Maybe it expects you to already have the knowledge before you attempt the exam. It's been mentioned multiple times in any client-side stuff I've studied.
    As far as I can figure out, there's not an OS that recommends that you log in with Administrator/root/WhateverTheMainAccountIsCalled privileges for normal day-to-day administrative tasks, never mind remote admin.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  15. anthony micallef

I think you're missing the point im trying to make. The point is it gives you the answer in the lesson and then the answer for the question is different. If you have a book teaching you something specific then it shouldnt just be assumed that you may have learnt it from somewhere else.

16. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Your answer will work, there's no denying that, but it asks for the best way and the best way is answer c). MS don't sit back and make it easy for you, their questions are quite often multi-dimensional. I assume they're designed to make you think rather than just have the ability to regurgitate facts.
    I think MS state you should have 6-12 months experience administering client and network systems before doing this exam, I assume this is where they think you'll have learnt it from.

Are you sure you haven't been given that knowledge in the book? I imagine it starts off with installing the software and I assume creating an administrator account is part of that process. It could also be in the numerous links they give you rather than in the book itself.

At the end of the day, the question has helped you. You've learned something new and it's made you think a bit more about it. Job done I'd say.

17. anthony micallef

Fair enough, i take your point :)

18. Logicum

Logicum Bit Poster

If, as I think, this is from Lesson 3 in the MS Press book then it actually does (though somewhat ambiguously perhaps) tell you that this should be the case in the lesson beforehand. On pages 2-14, 2-15, 2-17 under 'Credentials' and 'Exam Tip'. It isn't explicit but it does imply that the best way to handle remote administration scenarios is to drop users into the Remote Desktop Administration group manually or though group policy.

In keeping with Microsoft recommendations about security you should *always* give the least privilege possible, so answer 'c' would be best fit for an exam question (though in the 'real world' administrators sometimes don't follow this advice it is in fact best practice).

Hope that helps!

WIP: Many
  19. bizexpert

bizexpert New Member

I am considering doing the MCITP 70-290 certification. I have bought the Microsoft Press recommended text book MCITP Self paced training (70-290) :Supporting and troubleshooting apps on a win vista client for consumer support technicians. A[[erently this is all I need, but I am not sure.

In the text book it is not clear if it covers the pre requesite exam 70-620. According to the MS Prep Guide they only refer to this text book but it is not clear to me whether I need to now purchase the text book for 70-620, do that exam first and then start studying the 70-290text.

20. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

70-290 is an MCP and is all about administering server 2003, not an MCITP on vista. You must have your numbers confused somewhere.
    MCITP 70-623 is apps on vista