70-290/ MCSA Lab setup

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Asterix, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

Hi there,
    I am looking into setting up a home lab for the 70-290 exam as i am currently studing for this exam and need to get further hands on experience (looking ito take exam in about 2-4 months) and was wondering what options i have as not too sure of the capibillities of my server or the best way to setup my kit and whether i need to obtain more kit. As my server has 8 Hdd's i would like to implement a RAID system (raid 5??) as i have no experience of setting up RAID! Is anyone useing/familiar with this server or know if it has enough power to use virtulisation software to run as multiple servers setup? I am assuming that virtuliastion software is implemented after installing the OS (2K3)?
    I have listed below the kit i currently have.
    any advice/suggestions would be greatly appriciated.

KIT:
    I have a large Poweredge 4600 server (with 4gb ram, 8HD's etc) this system originally came with Server2K installed, a couple of XP laptops and an xp desktop that is a couple of years old, lots of Cisco routers, Cisco switches (2950's) and lots or various items (Input devides/ Monitors/cablingHP 10-Port KVM ETC)

SOFTWARE:
    I have copies of XP, Server2K3, but no virtulisation software but could possible source VMWARE/MS virtulisation software from work.

Thanks,
    Craig

2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi,

As far as the RAID is concerned, you will need the manufacturers software/boot disk for that.
    As far as the server and the 290 is concerned, that is a big electricity bill tbh and it needs to be kept cool too! It's up to you, but from memory, there wasn't anything that you couldn't run in Virtual PC or VMware to cover the installation and config of Windows server in general and for the exam. RAID is covered, but the theory of it and what set-up's you would use when. As for configuring it, you can get loads of information on the Dell support site/forum although it probably doesn't go in to that in the exam.

Good luck!

Simon

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

Would you recomend purchasing a smaller server which would be both easier on the Elec bill and more appropiorate for the 290?
    Oh and thanks for the swift resonse :D

4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

You don't say if you purchased the equipment, although a wise investment for your studies would be a well spec'd desktop with loads of RAM a decent processor, fast HDDS and virtualisation software. Virtual PC is free although VMware has more functionality (at a cost). You can also download trial images, or subscribe to "Technet" which is virtually all the software MS produce.
    Once you have this, your chosen training material (books, training guides, Certforums bookmarked), you are well on your way!

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

Rather than get a high-Spec machine and seting up virtulisation, would it not be more obvious to use my existing system allong with another average system? would there be more benefit on a high spec PC than a small HP ML series server? what kinda specs are required for a DC machine?

As far as the 70-290 training materials come i have the following:
    Examcram2 book
    'VTC' Vids (seem rather basic tho)
    'CBT nugget' Vid's
    *I am also trying to source the MS press book and testout software from a work colleague*