70-290 finding Ms-Press book inadequate...

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by glengonsalves, Feb 6, 2008.

1. glengonsalves

glengonsalves New Member

Hi all,

I'm quite disappointed with the book. I feel it just skimps on information which we need to learn; (by the way, I'm a 100% hands-on guy, can't learn just by reading). I feel they have just taken the objectives & zoomed through the material. I'm reminded of books by Alan Carter, Mark Minasi, Todd Lammle, Wendell Odom, etc. They really give you the understanding of the technology, make the material so interesting that you don't want to put the book down. They push you to go deeper into the material.

Anyway, that's how I feel. But, now I am feeling like I've got half-baked knowledge.

Could anyone please advise me on books, websites, etc. to help me learn this exam material well. I tried "Help & Support center" but find it ok. Is the Windows 2003 Resource Kit online or do I have to purchase it? What about Technet?

For e.g. I need to know more about Groups accounts, File & Folder permissions, etc.

Thanks to all!

Glen

2. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Yes ive got that book too and thought reasonably the same thing. However looking through the objectives I am quite surprised by the amount of stuff that is not covered. really it seems as you will know 60% of the contents if you've done the 270, so the only things really you need to get to grips with are the ad side of things and TS and a few other small items.

I've also bought the exam cram 2 book as a second reference, and planning to get some testing software soonish (i really want to know what I need to work on), but as your a hands on guy like me then the best thing to do is install 2-3 servers and play play play.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

When studying just about anything, it's not wise to rely on just one book. Even if the publisher's blurb on the cover says "It's the only book you'll ever need for...", don't trust that. They're trying to sell book, not promise a pass on your cert exam. Get at least two tomes to study from. Sybex usually produces a good product so I'd suggest them for the second book. Also, don't forget to study from TechNet. Lots and lots of good information available there.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Sybex have a very good reputation for books, especially the MCSA / E series. I have used a couple now and been very impressed. Maybe you should give the Sybex 290 book a shot? Amazon have it for about 17 quid by the looks of it.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  5. glengonsalves

glengonsalves New Member

Thanks for all your replies!

I will buy the sybex book later. But for now, I'm still stuck. Today, tried the Microsoft website, technet, etc. Could'nt find detailed info on "Group types" & "file & folder permissions".

Let me give you a good example...

While studying for the Cisco CCNA exam, if I ever wanted to know more about any tech term or protocol (e.g. OSPF, EIGRP), I just had to go to the documentation website; & found more than my brain can take! Just loads of theory, config examples on each router series, and so on.

Why can't I do that on the Microsoft website? Why can't I find indepth info on any particular tech or command? Is the Windows 2003 Resource Kit online?

Thanks

Glen

6. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

The MS website is normally very good for information. I just put 'file and folder permissions' into the search box on the front MS page and came up with this. Ok it's for Win2K Server but anything to do with NTFS permissions on that will be the same as W2K3 Server and XP etc...

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada