70-290 Failed - Comic Day all around

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by Colloghi, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

Well today took the 290 and failed with a poo score of 597. When the result came on the screen, i was pretty much stunned as it seemed to me Id done ok!.......obviously not. My main downfall was the Managing Users, Computers etc in AD.

To be honest, I should have walked out at question 14......

Im not blaming anything whatsoever below here on me failing. This exam, from the questions I got really isnty that difficult. By that I mean, the question are straight forward and I found the questions a lot more easily worded than the 270,271 & 272. Revise well, practice till your fingers fall offl, and you will pass this exam in my opinion with not much trouble at all. I didnt feel, that any question asked was tripping me up as such, I just in all honestly neglected certain areas....which Ill nail next time

Anyway

Up to question 14, this had happened

Arriving home last night full of confidence, and looking forward to last minute revise.

Then My PC with my VMsetup on died, I had a awful nights sleep thanks to Mrs COlloghi not ebing able to sleep, and that was Fiinished off this morning with being tired and unable to find my IPod cotaing the ITidiots cram sessions I listen to on the way to work.......

Ahh well, onto the Exam Centre

So Im there, took out whats needed ID wise and lock my wallet in the glove Box of the car. Head in and hand over my ID and yay My passport is expired from Sept and cant be accepted - not actually used my Passport since my last exam in March...........

Damn, ive got my driving License, Birth Cert and some bills and stuff, but they asked for the Bank card as that contains a Signature - no probs its in my wallet.........

Open Glovebox - no wallet.....WTF, I locked it in? Bemused I close glovebox and reopen a few times..still its not there..try closing again and the box wedges, the wallet has somehow massaged to get stuck behind the back of the Glovebox.wedged. Eventually the glovebox unattached,a nd got wallet yay!

Back inside, the kind lady informs me that my Driving License is about to run out as well! But hey ho, its valid at the moment and in I go

Question 1 - 14 appear and I feel Ok, Questions arnt too bad at the mo.

Question 14 comes.

QWuestion 14 is pretty straight forward, and as I click my answer,...the bong of windows error appears, and my Exam vanishes, and is replaced by a lovely error relating to a table........

The same happens to the Guy sat behind me........network had gone down

15 mins Later its all back up and Im at question 1 again with diffrent questions..........

I fail exam, network goes down again, takes another 15 mins to get my result in paper form

Get in the car, and just shake my head and think................What a Day.............

Onwards and up, im back home now, and I can see where I went wrong. So its a pass next time, no probs:)

Certifications: A+, MCP 270, 271, MCDST
    WIP: 290
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Best of luck on your next attempt!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. sweetdisorder

sweetdisorder Bit Poster

yep, I failed 70-290 on monday with a crappy 576. Thought I was on top of it, have a 2k3 lab, a couple of clients, been through the ms press book, been through the cbt nuggets, been through the ms readiness tests, so feel pretty down which is why I am just talking about it 4 days later.

On reading other suggestions for what to do when you fail an exam, I guess I will just have to dust myself off and put more effort into the areas I am apparently weak on. Annoying as I wanted this done and dusted before christmas so that I would go into the new year with a new exam to start studying for. Oh well, can't always get what you want.

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: 70-620 70-290
  4. loca1hero

loca1hero Byte Poster

All the very best of the next time mate:thumbleft

Certifications: Network+ (004), MCP, see signature
    WIP: MCITP & few oths.Cisco aft sum XPri
  5. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Its a tough exam, I got through it with a 736 I think it was and boy did I let out a big sigh of relief when that dreaded screen came up.

It sounds like you had terrible luck from the outset which is bound to put anyone off a touch, im sure if you collect yourself and go again you'll nail it! (Perhaps in a different test centre by the sounds of it?!).

Best of luck for the resit.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  6. loca1hero

loca1hero Byte Poster

Ooh and forgot to mention when I gave my 70-290 exam a few months back, nervous as I was .. and after hitting the final submit button and there was the score……. an exact 700 .. lucky to have got away with it .. that’s all that I could say ..:biggrin

Certifications: Network+ (004), MCP, see signature
    WIP: MCITP & few oths.Cisco aft sum XPri
  7. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Typical as this is what MS does especially in their 2003 exam tracks failing rate is so high and yet the questions are not as fair in comparison to newer exams.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell