70-284 Starting out

Discussion in 'Exchange Exams' started by zimbo, Apr 2, 2007.

1. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Worth considering but if you are looking at the 70-282 exam in regard to Exchange there are some limitations as there will generally only be one Exchange server in a SBS environment.

It does cover the basics of Exchange server though.

Just to turn this thread on its head I would suggest the 70-293 (again!) as it is fairly similar to 70-291 so perhaps go for that and get another MCP towards the MCSE. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If I remember correctly, 70-282 didn't touch much on Exchange at all. Not sure you'll get a large enough taste of it. I wouldn't recommend doing 70-282 unless you're really interested in supporting SBS.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

LOL you guys arent making it easier! :cry: Seriously 293 i think for a later time.. I need to cover the basics of Exchange so is it maybe worth going for 282 and covering the basics? The other plus is i would cover basics of ISA which again i havent seen much of...

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Mike then you suggesting i go straight for 284 then? How would you recommend i start out then?

5. Sparky

Good point with ISA. If you install SBS premium you can run ISA and if your SBS box has three NICs you can even configure a DMZ.

ISA is a complex technology but like you said the 70-282 will give you a good start.

70-282 it is then?

Then you can go for the 70-293 :biggrin :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  6. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

its sounds good but is it the way forward?

7. Sparky

yes, yes it is :rocks

8. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

So sparky some book suggestions then? :biggrin keep in mind ill be working alot of learning exchange

9. BosonMichael

Not necessarily... I'm just saying that Exchange is a small part of SBS, and isn't tested much past what limitations Exchange has in an SBS environment, and which SBS versions include Exchange.

If you're interested in Exchange, just read about it, install it, and play with it. Best I can advise is that it won't be easy without seeing it in real-life action... it's not impossible to do, but it just makes things clearer, actually seeing it work, with real-life users connecting to it and using it.

Sparky's right that 70-293 builds upon 70-291's concepts. It may be helpful to strike while the iron is still hot. 70-284 is different from what you've messed with in the past.

Keep in mind that if you ever want MCSE: Messaging, you'll also have to take 70-285, which is best taken after 70-284... thus, another reason to stick with the MCSE course, then switch to Messaging when you're done with the core exams.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  10. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

ahhh now what! :biggrin Seriously i spent so much time thinking of this and now im even more confused. The reason because i dont want to pursue MCSE right now is because im looking at a future in Computer Forensics so im still keeping my options open... so i guess i need to look at my options now..

11. BosonMichael

Why does a future in Computer Forensics preclude you from getting (or needing) the MCSE? ;)

12. Sparky

Good point sir :biggrin

Zim, thats what Im aiming for. Get the MCSE and then add messaging after. 8)

13. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Well it doesnt but i feel i dont have enough experience to be an MCSE

14. Sparky

You will get experience in time, don’t worry. :biggrin

Plenty of options for your next MCP but to be honest perhaps 70-282 isn’t the best option after all. It wasn’t on my original cert plan and I only ended up doing it as I now support an army of SBS networks. If you don’t see yourself supporting a SBS then it *probably* isn’t worth doing it. Don’t get me wrong there are some plus points as it will introduce you to ISA and Exchange.

Completely confused now? :biggrin

15. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

YES! I did want to do 282 as i feel it will teach me about another "Server product" and now Exchange and ISA...
    I started off wanting Exchange to be MCSA:M ... then SBS... now im looking at 293! :( seriously im so confused now i dont know whats right and wrong

16. Sparky

hmmm :hhhmmm

The Exchange exam looks fairly difficult to be honest so might take some time through all the material.

The 70-293 and 70-282 would probably take you a couple of months each based on what exams you have passed previously

17. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

i basically have 5 months free until end of sept.. so i was hoping to learn exchange during then.. so you still think im crazy? :biggrin

18. Sparky

LOL, nope! :biggrin

If you are interested in learning Exchange server then why not? Go for it! :biggrin

19. BosonMichael

Personally, I didn't learn anything about Exchange or ISA when studying for the SBS exam... I learned about what makes SBS different from the normal Windows Server 2003 product, and what Microsoft products come bundled with each SBS product. It certainly didn't help me use those bundled apps.

That said, I took the SBS exam a year ago... long after I got my MCSE or learned Exchange and ISA.

Personally, I don't really consider SBS to be "another server product"... it's a stripped-down version of Windows Server 2003. Learning it *could* very well confuse you as to where to find things in a "real" Windows Server environment. For example, when you add users in SBS, it's a different process than adding users in Server 03. I dislike working with it for those reasons... I don't know where things are in SBS that are second nature to me in Server 03 ("oh, yeah, I'm forced to use the wizard to perform this task"), and it's difficult to remember the little nagging limitations that SBS has that Server 03 doesn't ("oh, yeah, you can't go over 75 users with SBS").

Don't get me wrong, it's great if you want to support SBS... but if you're expecting it to give you good experience with certain products, it might not do that too well.

20. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

But from what you guys are saying am i ready to learn it? Or do i have gaps in my knowledge by not doing 293,294 etc?