70-284.... Done!

Discussion in 'Exchange Exams' started by NightWalker, May 28, 2008.

1. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

Been hitting the books hard over the last month or so. I wanted to get this exam in before the second shot offer expired. So I booked the exam and spent the last three days cramming.

My exam was booked for 12:30 today. Did some light revision this morning, then headed down to the test centre. I parked my car and went to buy a car park ticket. The email from Prometric confirming my exam booking said the appointment was for 2:15 minutes, so I stuck three hours on the car and walked over to the test centre (about 10 minutes away).

Went in and had my ID checked and everything, signed the paperwork and put my stuff in a locker. The lady (very attractive lady) showed me into the exam room and I started my exam. Now all the test sims I had done before hand on Transcender and TestOut all had 30 questions for the exam, I thought that fitted with the 2:15 time on the email from Prometric. I clicked Next to start my exam, got a shock when the screen said there were 50 questions and 3:20 minutes :blink

Oh well, too late to go and put another hour on the car, so I got stuck in. Got to question 7........ just reading through and suddenly a box appears on the screen telling me there is 5 minutes left (I had just looked at the time a few seconds before and had 3 hours left!), clicked ok, another one appeared telling me I had run out of time!.. f*$% :mad

Went and told the exam admin, who had to phone Prometric and sort it out (server problems at Prometric’s end). After a short wait, I started again (a new exam, from question 1). Did the business, and passed with 838. :cheers

This was actually a lot harder than I was expecting. Not one for the beginner to MCPs! I do think though that for the 70-284 you really need to have done the 70-291 before it.

I got back to my car well late, expecting a big old wheel clamp on it.... all clear, got in and drove away! So that’s another MCP done, upgrading my MCSA to an MCSA:Messaging. Only two left to get my MCSE. On to 70-294 next (then 70-297).

A special thanks to the very hot Kate the exam admin, she sorted out the exam crash quickly and got me underway again. :sexie

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Congrats on the pass mate :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

NDA alert, man! Waaaaay too much info!!! :ohmy This ain't a dump site!

Congrats, however.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Methodman85

Methodman85 Byte Poster

Way to go man, I plan on going the exchange route myself so this is good to see.
    It's a good thing you were only 7 questions in. The pass would of melted your anger anyways if you were in deeper, but it still would of sucked.

Certifications: MCTS, MCSE, MCSA:M, CCNA, MCDST, N+
    WIP: 70-680
  5. NightWalker

Good point, I get carried away once I start typing. Post edited.

6. Sparky

Quick question mate, are you gonna go for 70-285 after you get the MCSE to upgrade to MCSE:M?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  7. NightWalker

I was looking at this yesterday, I think I probably will. Email is so important in any organisation, I really enjoy the Exchange admin stuff I do at work. I think this would be well worth doing. I read a post yesterday about the security and messaging addition to MCSA/MCSE that said a company would likely expect you to already know how to secure a network, but would look for Exchange experience. I thought this was spot on, so add 70-285 on to my list of things to do!

8. Sparky

Sounds like a plan mate. I’m finding with the bigger network migration projects I’m working on the messaging topology is more complex and I need to get up to speed so I can be confident with migrating to whatever the new platform is.

Also need to start on the Server 2008 books as well. Think I will be studying for the rest of my life! :biggrin

9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

The mods very likely appreciate it. No harm, no foul. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. NightWalker

Yep, that thought crossed my mind too. :)

11. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Well done mate :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  12. NightWalker

Thanks dude :)

13. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Another one in the bag, congratulations:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  14. NightWalker

15. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Congrats mate...

16. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Well done on the pass! Time for a beer or two to celebrate?!

What did you use to study for the objectives? Apart from using Exchange on a daily basis of course. :)

Simon

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  17. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Well done mate :thumbleft

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  18. NightWalker

I went for the wine yesterday when I got back. :)

I used the MS press book, the TestOut CBT suite and the Transcender exam sims.
    I installed the MeasureUp exam sim, but didn't think much of it (as usual).
    My test lab was two machines running Server 2003 and Exchange 2003 and one xp client.

19. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hope your head is ok after the wine? :)

Thanks for the feedback - i am currently using the Sybex book and have to say, finding it very useful.

Simon

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  20. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

First, congrats on the pass.
    Then, one of my students had the same experiance. He had in his mail the mentioning of 165 minutes and ended up with an exam (50 questions) which lasted 255 minutes. He had about 20 questions not really related to exchange. So we contacted Prometric to find out what was wrong here. It turned out there was something wrong in the examfile. My student will probably get a retry on Prometric cost. The exam file somehow got corrupted.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP