70-272 Tomorrow!

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Flux, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Flux

Flux Bit Poster

Hey,

I'm currently studying like mad for the 70-272 exam which I am taking tomorrow. I'm just a little worried about what to expect, I know a lot of people regard this one as a bit trickier than 70-271.

They don't expect you to be an expert in Office but just to know the basic configuration options etc. but I still feel I may get tripped up by some obscure option or series of steps. I'm mainly concentrating on what they may regard as common configuration requests, like recording marcos and the like.

I'll let you all know how I go!

Flux

WIP: MCDST
  2. Atiaran

Atiaran Bit Poster

Hey Flux,

Good luck tomorrow, look forward to hearing how you get on :D

Atiaran

Certifications: None
  3. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Good luck for the exam!

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  4. beaumontdvd

beaumontdvd Kilobyte Poster

How the exam go?

Regards,

Certifications: 070-271, 070-272, (MCDST)Level 1,2,3 NVQ
    WIP: 070-270, A+, N+, S+,MCDST 7 Upgrade
  5. Flux

Flux Bit Poster

Hey,

I failed! Only got 596. The questions totally caught me off guard. I have a retake booked for the 11th February so I guess it's back to the books!

Flux

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  6. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

You're doing the right thing getting back in there. You should have received the report saying what your high and low percentages were, so concentrate on the lower ones. Do hands on and not just the books, if you can.

7. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Sorry to hear that you failed, but at least you now know where you need to concentrate on. Good luck with the re-take :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Great advice to follow.

Best of luck on your next attempt!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. Flux

Flux Bit Poster

Yeah, I got a really low score on Configuring & Troubleshooting Applications. Would help a lot if I had access to Office 2003, which I don't. I have Office 2007 but they changed so much I don't think it'll help me out much!

I've got three weeks so I guess I'll read up and play about with Internet Explorer 6 and Outlook Express.

Flux

10. beaumontdvd

Straight back to the books:twisted: Ive got my exam on the 26th was it harder than the 271?
    Without giving any questions away what areas came up a lot for you or was not covered in the book?

Just keep trying mate you will pass :)

Dave

11. Flux

Flux Bit Poster

I personally found it harder than 70-271, but I've heard from people who've had the opposite experience. I guess it's only hard if you don't know how to answer the questions eh!

I focused on a LOT of things that were only briefly mentioned in the exam and yet was asked things I was totally unprepared for! You just never know what you're going to get do you.

I'm guessing when I resit they will be testing on a different set of questions? Just hope I'm up to speed by then!
    My plan is to sit down with the Objectives for the exam and make sure I know about everything they expect me to.

I'll get there!

Flux

12. BosonMichael

Maybe, maybe not. The questions are pulled from a pool of questions. The more popular exams typically have larger question pools, and the less popular exams typically have smaller question pools. Some exams pull the questions randomly, some exams pull the questions randomly by section, and some exams are set up in groups of questions or "exam forms". Nobody but the exam vendors themselves knows the exact method they use for each exam. Best you can do is to study the concepts until you understand them completely.

On the chance that you MIGHT get some of those questions again, study the concepts that you remember getting. Certainly don't focus on those exclusively... but it couldn't hurt to know more about those topics, since you know you've seen them before.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  13. beaumontdvd

Yeah, Im studying questions at the moment and some of them seem to have no relation to the module ive studied (I didnt know holding ctrl and turn off performs immediate shutdown)? Good luck for your next exam mate, I think I know my book inside out now lol :( going to do a few hundred practice questions then take the exam. I guess VPN will be a good one to revise and how its easier to dial you local ISP and create a VPN tunnel than to have dedictaed phone lines (which is expensive).

Ive made a few threads on questions about some of the concepts of the 272 and some people have given me some great answers it may be worth having a look.

Anyway good luck with the revising,

Dave

14. BosonMichael

What practice questions are you using? Anytime there are a "few hundred practice questions", they typically end up being braindumps... not trying to come down on you - just trying to keep you and your certifications safe.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  15. beaumontdvd

Hiya, I do have braindumps provided by Computrain (similar to my last post) but I dont want to use them. Hence the reason I passed the 271 and then restudied it using the mcdst Bill Ferguson book I bought. There are questions in the book, also some on a cd that comes with the book that are like flashcards. Also Computrain signed me up for Measure-up for the 271 so I guess they have done the same. (Even though I emailed and asked them two days ago and still havent received a reply) :(

Regards,
    Dave

16. BosonMichael

Ah, gotcha. :) Just wanted to be sure you were safe, bro. :) Sounds like you're on the right path.

17. beaumontdvd

Thanks mate I appreciate it, I guess I like learning for these exams and then passing them. Hopefully one day I will have as many as you LOL!

thanks again,
    Dave

18. BosonMichael

Yeah, man, I dig the challenge too. :)

You may never need as many as me... my position is somewhat unique. :D That said, it is entirely possible to outcert me! Others have done it!

19. beaumontdvd

Just out of interest how old were you when you started taking the microsoft exams? Possible but unlikely lol. I will just keep plodding on, its just so hard to get an entry level job in IT now. Anyway take care mate :biggrin
    Cheers again for the replies throughout my threads,

Dave

20. Revolate

Revolate Nibble Poster

In my opinion it's down to whos taking the exam and how you have revised and what knowledge you already have. I found 272alot easier. I hope you pass next time round! Study hard mate. :D

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
    Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, NVQ3, ADITP.
    WIP: Server+ and a nice break?