1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

70-272 passed today

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Arroryn, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Arroryn
    Honorary Member

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed

Which makes me the MCDST (finally!)

I have to admit, I majorly lost the enthusiasm with this one, and rescheduled the exam no less than 3 times before realising I was never going to get motivated on the material, and I might as well bite the bullet and see how my corporate experience fared.

The MS Press book for this was, for me, quite dry compared to the 271 material. I really couldn't stick with it, and therefore I don't think I could *really* recommend it to anyone as a preparation tool. That being said, I work with the software in it so much, I probably found it hard reading as it was trying to teach me to suck eggs.

I skimmed the objective question areas, and decided it would be worth a go. 792 was my passing score, so I was more than a little pleased with that.

For anyone looking to try the exam on experience alone, I support the following on a daily basis:

XP Professional users with a minimum of SP2 installed

VPN home users, XP SP2 on the PCs; we do not utilise remote desktop for users but I was aware of the facility.

Office 2003 patched to SP3 - including supporting document creation / amendment instead of just application troubleshooting

I also create and (attempt to) manage ghost images for the PCs, so I get a lot of hands-on with regards to application installation and troubleshooting.

Off to the library now to do the finishing touches on a Uni assignment :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

?!?!?!?!

WOOOO :)

Well done you :)

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. AJ

AJ Administrator Administrator

WOOP WOOP

Nice one dawn well done. :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Looking at doing ..................
  4. loneferret

loneferret Byte Poster

Congrats on completing the MCDST...
    How was the exam compared to 271?

Again congrats... :)

Certifications: MCDST/N+/L+/i-Net+/CIW/OSCP/OSCE
    WIP: MCTS 70-662
  5. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

About dang time!

Seriously, well done you MCDST you :)

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  6. tbone152

tbone152 Nibble Poster

Congrats. Know what you mean about the 272 being slightly dry.

T

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: 70-270
  7. Arroryn
    Honorary Member

Thanks guys :)

Loneferret - without poo-pooing the NDA I can honestly say whilst I think the content overlaps, if you don't have the experience it's worth putting in the study. I can't hand-on-heart recommend the MS Press book as I thought it was quite shoddy, whilst the 271 book was well-written (in the main) and quite engaging.

It's probably worth mooching on Amazon or A.N Other site with reviews, to see what people think overall. As I said, my commercial experience probably knocked all the interest out of the 272 book altogether - there wasn't much "new" in it.

8. -Mercury-

-Mercury- Byte Poster

Well done, congrats! :D

Certifications: MCSA|MCDST|A+|Net+
    WIP: CCENT
  9. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster Forum Leader

Well done Aro.... I looked at the book as well and couldn't relaly stick it. I find the MS-Press 270 so much better. I ended up passing the exam on experience as well...

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  10. wagnerk
    Highly Decorated Member Award

wagnerk aka kitkatninja Moderator

Congrats on the pass & new cred :)

-ken

Certifications: CITP, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, PTLLS, MCT, MCITP, MCTS, MCSE, MCSA:M, MCSA, MCDST, MCP, MTA, MCAS, MOS (Master), A+, N+, S+, ACA, VCA, etc... & 2nd Degree Black Belt
    WIP: PGDip
  11. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Congrats:thumbleft

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  12. StormTHX

StormTHX Byte Poster

I've never found IT books that engaging, except the early Mastering series of books by Mark Minasi back in the 2K days.

Cheers on the pass!:beers2

Certifications: MCDST, MCP (210), A+, ITIL Foundations
    WIP: Taking a break then onto MCSE
  13. BosonMichael

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Congrats, girl! :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  14. loneferret

loneferret Byte Poster

Thanks for the heads up. Of course I didn't expect you to go against the NDA.

This will help me a lot in my quest for the 70-272. I've had to support users on IE, but can't say the same for Office (Word/Excel/PowerPoint). Thanks again and congrats!

Certifications: MCDST/N+/L+/i-Net+/CIW/OSCP/OSCE
    WIP: MCTS 70-662
  15. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Nice one Dawn - get the 70-270 out of the way as soon as possible, cuz it just feels like déjà vu

[​IMG]

16. greenbrucelee

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Well done :)

Was it any harder than the 271?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  17. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Well done Arroryn, must feel great getting that of the way...!! :)

Top stuff!

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  18. Arroryn
    Honorary Member

Hell no lol. Far easier.

19. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Funnily enough I was just going through a practice test on the Readiness Review Suite for 272.

No revision, haven't even read the book and what the hell... 98% without even trying.

I was... well, stunned. Some of the questions are just too simple for words.

Right! Got to book both the 271 and 272 together now :p There's my next challenge.

Time to do a few more tests to make sure it wasn't fluke

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  20. dales

dales Gigabyte Poster

Big Congrats on the pass

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing