70-271 Retakes

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Ortheus, May 16, 2008.

1. Ortheus

Ortheus New Member

Hi

Currently studying MCSE with Advent Recuritment and trying to pass the 70-271. I consistantly pass the Microsoft Self paced training kit prep exams with 90% on average and the supplied Transcender software and feel I will not attain any further knowledge by studing the manual or taking the preset exams. I`ve sat the exam twice now in the last 2 weeks and only manage 600-630 in test scores.

I`ve studied for 3 months so far for this module and are not currently working in the I.T field though I have an I.T related background.

My question is am I`m expecting to much of myself in passing this exam without hands on experience as well as the theory or does anyone have any ideas as to what now to focus on ?

Many thanks

Certifications: Comp Tia A+ Certified Technician
    WIP: MCDST
  2. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

I assume that you kept the reports that you get at the end of the exams? If so, you should be able to see the areas that you need to study more on. Can you see if you improved in certain areas from first to second exam? If so, then that is a positive.

Remember that the more you take the practice tests, the more you are likely to score well in them... you see the same questions and know what the answer is from memory after a while. They are still useful as a study aid, but try to understand why you get a question right (or wrong) as opposed to merely getting it right.

Don't give up... you're not that far off a pass, judging by your scores.

What books are you using to study by the way? Just the Advent stuff, or any MS Press or Sybex books?

And, what are Advent doing to help you?

Oh, and welcome to CF! 8) Head over to the New Members area and introduce yourself. :)

3. Ortheus

Ortheus New Member

Thanks for the swift response and welcome! :)

I`m studying from the Self Paced Training Kit Windows XP 2nd edition Microsoft Manual (Walter Glenn and Tony Northrup).

The areas I have focussed on from the 1st exam report are not showing improvement mainly Troubleshooting Access to Resources. I have focussed on permissions in the last 2 weeks so I`m not sure whats going wrong. I improved considerably on Installing a Windows Desktop O/S (which I haven`t focussed on) and scored lower in the 2nd exam on Desktop and User environments. Ironically I thought Network and Protocols which is definitely an area I`m least comfortable with is where I would fall down but that is not the case which goes to show that multiple choice is not always the most effective means of testing but I`m not here to debate the system but find out areas in which I need to focus to pass!

I`ve been told by Advent today that Chapter 1 and 13 should be my focus in order to improve and that I`m not using enough support information from Microsofts support pages to aid in my knowledge. Does that seem fair comment ? I admit I have not been doing this. They have indicated that a lot of information supplied on their web site is not included in the manual.

Apart from todays feedback from Advent they haven`t been overly helpful thus far although they just say if you have any questions then please ask but that is not constructive feedback to help identify the areas that you are falling down on. Given the length of the questions trying to remember the details for discussion is not really viable sand just relying on a bar graph to say focus on this area or that doesn`t really help with the specifics on what your falling down on.

I hope that makes some sense to you and can relate to what I`m trying to say!

Thanks for your time!

4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Ah yes... and that's why most of us recommend self-study over training providers. :)

I generally recommend MS Press and Sybex books for Microsoft exams, so you should be good to go.

Are you doing the labs in the books, or are you just reading them, hoping everything's going to sink in? Taking the time to actually sit down with a real PC will certainly help you!

I typically recommend the A+ and Network+ before the MCDST. But the MCDST is doable without experience... it's just easier if you have the experience.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Ortheus

Ortheus New Member

The book I have from Advent is part of the MS Press range, but yes I think your right self study was probably the better way to go.Hey ho! I am A+ Certified so I have some grounding. I did get some better feedback from Advent them this time round though. Apparently I have not been following the Further Reading section URLs posted in the book which contain a lot of info the MS manual does not contain.

I`m currrently reviewing all the online content to see if there is enough additional information to help me push those marks up a few more points.

Thanks for your feedback

6. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

Im in the same boat as you Ortheus, im struggling with the 70-272 exam! failed it twice, but doing the trancender test im passing with flying colours! but in the exam im not doing so well, my last exam i got 690! but i went throught a training provider and they aren't very helpfull, When i pass this exam and get my MCDST i dont think i will go with a provider, dont think i would ever recommend it either.........im sure you will get there in the end tho.

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing
  7. Ortheus

Ortheus New Member

Thanks John

Well I`m glad I`m not rowing this boat round in circles on my own! Sounds like your incredibly close to the finish line at 690!
    I hope 272s not harder! lol

Third time lucky so they say!

8. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

I think it is harder, even tho they both crossover with somethings

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing