70-271 Exam Date Booked - Any Advice?

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by chrism, Mar 7, 2007.

1. chrism

chrism Bit Poster

I decided to bite the bullet and book my exam (hoping the deadline can help me make myself study!!)

I have booked my exam for the 28th of March. So far the material in the Sybex book seems to be covering the gaps in my knowledge fairly well. Took a Transcender exam last night and in about half an hour got 76% so once I brush up on my weak areas and actually take my time answering the questions I reckon three weeks should give me plenty of time.

If anyone has any hints or tips on how they spent the last few weeks preparing for their exam please share them here, I know I'd like to benefit from the collective wisdom of CF and I'm sure there are other people preparing and would benefit from hearing how others prepared (especially the ones that have passed the exam!)

Thanks

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ACA
    WIP: Still to be decided!
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Try to not take the Transcender test too often. I'd suggest taking it maybe two or three days before the real thing just to make sure that you are ready. That way if you're not then you still have time to cancel.

It is also important to not cram your studies, take them sensibly, at three weeks to go you should know enough and simply be covering your weak area's.

With a week to go I'd review notes make sure I understand them clearly.

Practice tests in the few days before the real thing, and then on the day before just a quick scan of notes.

Do nothing but relax on the evening before and the time on the day before. If you don't already know it by now then no amount of cramming is going to help you!

Good Luck! 8)

3. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  4. chrism

chrism Bit Poster

Thanks Simon. In the Transcender pack there are 3 unique tests and one that takes some questions from all of them so I am just going to use the two remaining unique tests and will use them maybe ten days and 4 days before the exam.

I'm collating a sheet of bullet points of things that I've not used extensively and will go over them the day before (though resisting the urge to cram on the morning of an exam will be difficult for me as I always do that even though I know that if I don't know it by then I'm not likely to know it! lol)

Thanks again for the advice!

5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Good luck :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Best of luck!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

The danger with Transcender is that you end up learning the answers and lull yourself into a false sense of security when you start getting 98%.

Simon is quite right - take the test, if your score is poor, go back to the course material.

Don't just hammer away at Transcender until you get a decent score.

Good luck!

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  8. chrism

chrism Bit Poster

Thanks Michael and Johnny.

I have been wary of looking at the tests for that reason and am only going to do each of the unique tests once so that I am not memorising questions.

Can anyone advise me how the transcenders compare to microsofts exam? e.g does a score in the 70% range roughly equal the 700 point passmark (obviously exam day nerves and question weighting come into play on the real score) but I'm just looking for a rough estimate.

9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Back when I worked for them, we attempted to create a good simulation of the exam with a similar sort of "feel", if that makes sense. Some say that Transcender exams are harder, some say they're similar, some say they're easier... I guess that depends on how well you study and the luck of the draw - what questions you happen to be dealt from the question pool. But all in all, it should be a reasonable approximation of how you should expect to do on the exam (that is, if they have continued to create exams in this manner... I *did* leave for a reason, and that's all I'll say about that).

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. dicanio34

dicanio34 Bit Poster

i would def make sure your clued up with firwalls and remote desktop. The exam seemed to have a lot of quetions about this area.
    Hope it helps

:rolleyes: