70-271 and 70-272 to be retired!!

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by BosonMichael, Aug 1, 2010.

1. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yep, folks, it's time. If you don't already have it, it's time to get it... because the MCDST exams will retire on March 31, 2011: link

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  2. d_pipa

d_pipa Bit Poster

Oh great! :eek:

I have got to do A+ and Network+ before 2011 and then now this. I am going to book August and September for A+ and Network+ so it seems like I still have got a couple of month to do MCDST before it retires. Hmm...

3. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Not really surprised, I mean the MCDST has been available now for 6 years...

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. brizzoluk

brizzoluk Kilobyte Poster

Will they be bringing out a newer version?

Certifications: ECDL, A+
    WIP: Network+
  6. Kitkatninja

They have already...

The MCITP: Consumer Support Tech (70-620 & 70-623 - For Vista)
    The MCITP: Enterprise Support Tech (70-620 & 70-622 - For Vista)
    The MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician 7 (70-680 & 70-685 - For Windows 7)

There is also the MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator 7 (70-680 & 70-686 - For Windows 7), which is a tier 3 qualification, so higher than the 4 certs mentioned above.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  7. brizzoluk

brizzoluk Kilobyte Poster

Ah ok thanks for that.

Certifications: ECDL, A+
    WIP: Network+
  8. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Ah end of an era. Anyone know when 70-270 will be retired?

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  9. BosonMichael

Considering how much XP is still used, I'm somewhat surprised. Then again, Microsoft doesn't make money on XP anymore... and they desperately want people to upgrade to 7.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  10. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Better pull my finger out and stop procrastinating then....

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  11. d_pipa

d_pipa Bit Poster

I am studying for A+ and Network+ before the policy changes at 2011.

And everyone recommends to get MCDST, but I thought it is so old (because of XP) that it wont be worth to study it would it? If you agree, what certification would you recommend me to get?

Cheers

Dean

12. Kitkatninja

What do you currently work with?

-ken

13. d_pipa

d_pipa Bit Poster

I don't work, I have just graduated. In fact, I don't have experiences. So it was recommended that I get A+, Network+ and MCDST.

I am not sure about MCDST the fact that it is XP, should I still get MCDST or shall I consider to get something else?

14. BosonMichael

Considering most companies still predominantly use XP, it would absolutely be worth it to study.

15. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

The MCDST is still relevant, a fairly huge number of businesses still use and will continue to use XP for a while yet (certainly up until 2014 when support is withdrawn). The other thing to take into account is if you complete the MCDST you can then do the necessary exams to upgrade for the Vista and 7 certs.

There is still plenty of life left in XP yet!

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  16. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

These where the first exams I undertook when I was trying to get into IT 2 years ago.

RIP MCDST.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  17. d_pipa

d_pipa Bit Poster

Alright, thanks. I will start study MCDST after my A+ and Network+ exams this month and the next one.