1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

70-270 or 70-271 ??

Discussion in 'Windows Vista / 7 / 8 Client Exams' started by demarrer, Sep 18, 2008.

1. demarrer

demarrer Byte Poster

Hi,

I'm looking at a next certificate... is it worth studying for the client exams 70-271 or the 70-270?

before I get clicking on amazon to get the books I was wondering what peoples experiences are:were of these exams.

Cheers for any thoughts.

Certifications: A+, Security +, CCNA, CCSA
    WIP: music, (dreaming of) CCIE Security :D
  2. wagnerk
    Highly Decorated Member Award

wagnerk aka kitkatninja Moderator

Yes it is worth going for a client exam, however which one to do depends on what you currently do. If you do not work in IT and do not have any experience with MS exams, then I would recommend doing the MCDST route which would entail these exams (70-271 & 70-272).

-Ken

Certifications: CITP, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, PTLLS, MCT, MCITP, MCTS, MCSE, MCSA:M, MCSA, MCDST, MCP, MTA, MCAS, MOS (Master), A+, N+, S+, ACA, VCA, etc... & 2nd Degree Black Belt
    WIP: PGDip
  3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

i have done both the 270 and MCDST exams (271 ans 272) - and agree with Ken if your experience is not much then start with the MCDST but mind you i went 270 first and then made the MCDST look like a walk in the park but i did have some 1st line experience when i took the 270 so it kinda helped but MCDST is for you!! :biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  4. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

Hi, as above. the only upside to doing 270 would be that it counts towards MCSA/MCSE. I don't think 271 can, might be wrong though.

Certifications: MCP, MCSA, MCSA:M, MCSE, MCTS
    WIP: A few
  5. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

The collective exams required for the MCDST (70-271 and 70-272) count as an elective towards the MCSA. See here

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  6. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

Ah cool, thanks wasn't sure.

Certifications: MCP, MCSA, MCSA:M, MCSE, MCTS
    WIP: A few
  7. demarrer

demarrer Byte Poster

Cheers for the replies. I've got about 4 months in second line support now in a microsoft XP/ cisco switches/routers environment now(I'm the sole technician for an office of about 150)

I was thinking along the same lines as you guys about doing the 270 to give me a strong client certificate as well as consolidating what I know about the OS.

I'm finding that I have to go back to the books as I'm starting to find that I'm not encountering new problems in second line. Is it possible to use studying for certs as a way to progress once you are in an IT job?

Certifications: A+, Security +, CCNA, CCSA
    WIP: music, (dreaming of) CCIE Security :D
  8. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Of course it is - employers appreciate honesty and stating that you're currently studying towards a certification in your CV doesn't hurt your chances you know? :)

From personal experience -

Prior to HND certification - Crap wage
    Interim - Employer promised to increase wage upon successfully completion
    After obtaining HND - Not so crap wage

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA