70-270 Lab

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by zimbo, Sep 24, 2005.

1. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

k ill give it a go and let you guys know... if everything goes well im going to write an article for this cause its a mission to get something like this going!

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  2. Sneakydave

Sneakydave Bit Poster

Perfect thanks!

WIP: MCSA 70-270
  3. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Zimbo, use the config wizard to start with and use the most common config one (the top choice ). Go through the wizard (pretty easy) give the domain name eg contoso.com (MS Press) go through the following screens and when you get to the dns server address screen you can check the don't configure this setting (at the moment). The wizard will set it up as a DC, a DNS server and a DHCP server so your XP PC should be set to aquire an IP address automatically by DHCP. Then you can join the domain as simongrahamuk pointed out.

HTH.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

sorry but if the server is going to assign the ip address i shouldnt need to enter anything on the xp machine right?

5. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Correct, but you will have to make sure that the XP machine is set up to recieve it's IP Address dynamically, as it is by default.

:biggrin

6. Sneakydave

Sneakydave Bit Poster

If you have a DHCP service running on the server then on your XP machine go to control panel, network connections then right click the local area connection and sellect properties.

Select the "internet protocol (TCP/IP)" and click properties, ensure that the "obtain ip address automaticly" option is sellected then click ok to exit.

7. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

right... so once the server is running and i go through the wizards (i presume in this wizard i will have to enter some sort of ip address right?) the server will "send" an IP address to the XP machine? and thus be able to communicate(!!)?

8. Sneakydave

Sneakydave Bit Poster

yes, with the server running start the XP machine and during startup it will request IP address etc from the DHCP server

9. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Zimbo, why don't you run the wizzard and see what the results are.

It's just a guess here but I think that you may be getting a little out of your depth at the minute, sort of running before you can walk.

Why don't you get your head down into the XP book, and see how much you are able to understand and implement before adding the server into the equation. You may find that you can comprehend a lot more than you think before you add the server, and will find it easier to do so.

8)

10. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

well i got the server running and i got another pc i want to add in the same way... i just wanted to ask if i use my network card from my pain pc in my lab pc and fiddle with ip addresses nothing is stored on the card right? :rolleyes:

last weekend i had to call my ISP to reset my ip after doing something trying to hook up the main pc to my network and i dont want to have to do the same..

11. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

IP addresses are logical addresses, they are stored in the software.

The Address that is stored on the Network Card is called the MAC address, and this is burned onto the card by the maunfacturer.

If you're worried about using that card then why not just pick up a new card for next to nothing?

EDIT: I should have added that if your lab is going to have no external connection, i.e. to the internet then you should have no problem using your existing NIC.

8)

12. mojorisin

mojorisin Kilobyte Poster

Done anymore work on your lab Zimbo ?:blink

WIP: Microsoft 365 Identity and Services MD-100
  13. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

nope... got another prob.. well im well into the book so im trying to figure out what my server is going to be? domain controller? do i just run the wizard on server 2003?

14. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

To turn a Windows Server 2003 member server to a DC, Click Start, Run, then type in dcpromo in the run box and click Ok. That will start the process of promoting your server to a DC.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  15. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

trip im doing 70-270 and to do the labs for this i want to be able to setup my network.. from scratch... i got server on one and xp on the other... if you looked through this post im sure you will see alot of input but i dont know what the heck to try... please could you clear some things up so i can get the right stuff running on server and i can do some hands on... :rolleyes:

16. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

i want to be able to do the labs and ex associated with xp 70-270 - so far im up to unattended installations and i was told i need to setup my server for the exam - i found a couple of tutorials on MS site for DC... any other suggestions to what else i can setup my server to do so it can help me do work for this exam?

17. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

DHCP, DNS, RRAS to name just a few for now ...All covered in the server exam.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  18. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I would think the text you are working from would have the information you need. Don't forget, you can change a server configuration. You can promote a member server to DC and back again. Part of the learning experience is tinkering under the hood and occasionally even breaking something.

19. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

so what would be the best thing to do for now? since im still on 70-270?

20. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Go to Google and search for *70-270 lab setup*. Find the result that looks like the attachment to this post. I opened it in html but you can download the pdf file. Looks like it has a lot of good information about how ot set up a lab for this exam including the server set up. Let me know how it works out. :)

Attached Files: