70-270 LAB "for Dummies"

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by zimbo, Jul 11, 2005.

1. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

hi ppl

i saw a thread on labs for 70-270 and was wondering if someone could create a guide as such as to how to go about this like what i would need to do this? Would i have to buy a server? Im about to start for this exam and want to look into a lab

thanx
    cheers!

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  2. mojorisin

mojorisin Kilobyte Poster

Ideally you would have 2 old pc's one with server on it and one for installing XP

This is the setup that iam using at home studying for the 70-270 exam

I have Server 2003 on one machine and used that to do a RIS install onto my other pc for XP

Or you could use VMWare or the Microsoft Virtual PC although i have never used either of these but there are plenty of people on this board that have

Think you might be able to just use one pc for playing with XP but really better with two machines to get the network and RIS installs done

Hope this helps :biggrin

WIP: Microsoft 365 Identity and Services MD-100
  3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

umm mojorisin im not sure if u got my PM- doesnt anyone mind explaining how i can set something like this up??

4. Loopy

Loopy Bit Poster

Depends what kind of lab you want to set up, do you need to set up a small domain or just a workgroup?
    When I did this exam I just used a workstation with Windows XP on it, as most of the earlier books don't even mention server 2003, I found that was sufficient to do the exercises in the exam cram book and it will save you the money as well.
    If you want to set up a small domain you can use the evaluation copy of windows server 2003 and use a VMware Windows XP client as mojorisin suggested, if you need help setting this up or knowing what to purchase let us know, as i'm not 100% sure what you require.

Certifications: MCP 70-270
    WIP: MCSA Windows Server 2003
  5. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Right on, Ryan! Points! :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  7. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

big thank you for this.... ill need some help setting it up.. will get back to you soon...

cheers 8)

8. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

first off all thanx for the lab diagram....

now that i got some time let me give you guys my full specs as to what i have right now and what else i should get....

i got 3 PC's and a switch... My "big" pc is the one i work with (eg all my stuff on it) AMD 2.6 Ghz -256 Ram- 50 GB
    The 2 other pc's are 200 Mhz and 64 RAM- 3GB HD AND 500 MHZ - 128 RAM (i think) - 10 GB HD....

im looking to having a lab for the 70-270 and with some luck the Server 2003 exams for MCSA (yeah i know im pushing it with these old PCs!!!) For the ppl who have done their MCSE/MCSA please can u suggest how i can use these to do the labs - but Windows XP is my first priority...

thanx

9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

10. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

thanx for the article... you got any advice on how you would setup?

11. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Yes, buy more RAM. :wink:

12. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

okay apart from buying more RAM?

13. mojorisin

Install the older machine as your server
    then use the other spare machine for XP this way you dont have to mess with your main pc

Connect the machines to your switch so that they can see each other then once you have installed server 2003 on one machine you can work your way through the 70-270 book and do remote installs and the like to the other spare pc

14. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

thanx man.... so its just the two pc's ill be using not my main one?

thanx again!! :beers2

15. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Might as well connect your main PC to the network as well - even if you don't do any actual practical lab work on it (and I guarantee you eventually will ....from curiousity) it's handy to be able to play with even just simple network shares (for backups and the like) at times other than dedicated study periods.

Just my opinion tho.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  16. mojorisin

Yes connect the main pc aswell i was meaning that you won't really have to mess up the config on this one if you just use the other 2 pc's

That way you can still look on here with you main pc while messing about with the other 2 :dry

17. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

well i managed to get a 10 GB HD from a friend so ill be popping that into the 200 Mhz PC PLUS i got about 5 diff kinds of RAM that i want to try out...but to be honest im pretty gooffed ill fry the machine if they wrong? From the above specs i gave about my PC's which would you guys reccommend i put server 2003 on?

18. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Either one would run but personally I'd put it on the 500MHz machine.

Also, if you get remote desktop set up on all machines then you can do all your config work from your main PC and not need to have 2 extra monitors on at the same time, although you'll probably need them for doing all the installs anyway.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  19. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

would the 200Mhz machine handle XP? i mean im just using these machines for training and thats it.. nothing else will be on them.. 8)

20. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

I used to run w2k on a Pentium 133Mhz box with a good dose of RAM (about 196Mb if I recall) and it hummed along fine as a simple client. I would imagine your 200Mhz box will be adequate.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity