70-270 classroom for selfstudy

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by intuicja7, Oct 31, 2005.

1. intuicja7

intuicja7 Bit Poster

Hi all

I want to open a topic for people who selfstudy.
    The main problem with selfstudy is motivation to keep doing that regularly. Knowing that the rest peole do that and seeing their progress should be helpful for motivation

So

-Post when you start learning.
    -Writing how many hours do you want learn daily or weekly
    -Which books do you use
    -What's your motivation
    -What do you do to still keep going learning and what makes you stopping it
    -and post off topic too

Robert

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: 70-270 (MCSA 2003)
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Great idea! :thumbleft

Although I'm not self studying at the minute I do intend to go back to Certification through self study when I finish my degree.

What used to keep me motivated was the fact that my previous employers offered a payrise for gaining certifications, and I knew that if I wanted a decent rise then I needed to be hitting the books and studying.

These days my employers arent into certifications at all, but have recently agreed to fund exams so there is a slight bit of motivation.

For me personally gaining the knowledge whilst studying far outweighs gaining the actual certification, and thats what keeps me enjoying IT.

8)

3. intuicja7

intuicja7 Bit Poster

I've started 30.10.2005

learning: 2h per day
    book: cramsession
    motivation: finding a job in networking

The worst promblem for me is when I come home after my job and start doing something different just for a few minutes. Later it apears that it was a few hours, and the day is lost
    To avoid days like that, I go to a park to relax before entering the flat.
    On my way from park I keep thinking that straight after entering the room I start studing without having a few minutes for something different.

It works, apart form days when I say at the park that today I'm not studying ;-) but at least I don't cheat myself.

Robert

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: 70-270 (MCSA 2003)
  4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I should also say that what motivated me initially to persue my degree is because my employer suggested it to me, and offered to part fund.

Now, in my final year, my motivation is simple: I've started so I'll finish.

8)

5. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I'm not currently working on a cert, as such, but I am currently studying bash scripting and the bash shell.

Now, I'm badly in need of a job, but that isn't the motivation that keeps me digging. What keeps me learning and studying is my love of learning. I'm bored stiff if I'm not learning. I reach burnout on a job very quickly if I can't continue to learn and grow in it. Money alone is not sufficient motivation to keep me at a job.

So, do I have to discipline myself to keep me learning? No. I have to discpline myself to make sure I do other things during the day.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Apart from posting on numerous Internet forums :biggrin

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. mojorisin

mojorisin Kilobyte Poster

Iam self studying the 70-270 bought the book in April i think it was and was doing ok working my way through it but then got sidetracked with work and a new baby arriving so will have to try and get into it again

Using the Sybex book and iam on chapter 6 i think :dry
    will check my notes and see what stage iam upto

WIP: Microsoft 365 Identity and Services MD-100
  8. corbpm

corbpm Bit Poster

Just ordered from Amazon the sybex book and a ExamCram 2 set
    eagerly? awaiting so can get on with it.
    est. delivery date 12-16th Nov.

Went to borders today no Sybex book and the ExamCram2 book on its own was £25 without the practice question book, amazon £39 for lot, hurrah

Now back to reading the 70-291 MS Press book while waiting which is really boring.

Certifications: 70-290
    WIP: 70-270 then onwards to MCSE
  9. zenboy

zenboy Bit Poster

Hello everyone! I'm a newbie here....actually, I've been here for the past few months but haven't registered until now.
    In the past recents months I have passed the A+ and N+, and took a 2 months hiatus from studying. I guess the reason I'm picking up my studying again is because I have get a least some more certs on my resumes in order to get some employments. I've been out of the IT workforce for over 3 years since being in it for 7 years.
    Like y'all, I'm currently am studying for my 70-270 XP and plan to finish it in three weeks. Since I have all the time in the world right now (until my wife gets on my butt to do something..hehe), I'm putting in 6-8 hours of studying besides looking for a job.
    I'm using the MS Press book right now, but it is boring the heck out of me. After running through this one, I'll use the Sybex 3rd edit. 2005; I think that is a better one.
    Do please include me in the study group so I could get some motivations to stay studying before my wife does it!!

10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Zenboy, that is all great stuff IMHO. It would be nice also, if you could post in the New Members Introduction forum, so that we could all greet you properly and get to know you a bit better :biggrin

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  11. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

i wonder if i may of assistance... read most of the ms press book and have the sybex 2nd edition... if anyone needs any assitance glad to help! btw anyone want help setting up a lab for 70-270?

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  12. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi,

OK the questions & answers:

When: all the time, can't remember a time when I wasn't studying
    Hours: At least 1 hour a day (up to 2 hours a day), this only includes what I do at home and not the implementing of what I learn in a real enviornment.
    Book(s): MS Press, Sybex, Exam Cram & Exam Prep
    Motivation: The prospects of a better job/promotion, needs for work, professional & person improvement.
    What do...: Not sure - I just keep on going until burn out, like now. I tend to keep on doing this, once I set on mind on something I keep on going, no matter the effects until I achieve what I set out to do.

Not currently studying at the mo, need a rest - but it was well worth it. :rocks

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  13. syn3rgy

syn3rgy New Member

Hi,

I am looking at studying my MCSE, i am starting with my exam 70-270 XP, i see you mentioned you are using the 3rd edition, i know it is an updated edition to the 2nd edition, but is there any major differences, is it woth selling my 2nd edition and getting the 3rd edition book instead?

:blink

14. Rostros22

Rostros22 Kilobyte Poster

Going to start pushing myself towards gaining my A+ and Network+ and then hopefully my MCDST.

Finding time to put aside and concentrate on education is very hard I have found once you have been out of that practise for a while. My personal time is usually taken up with out of work activities which I am cutting down to fit in study time. I am hoping to be able to study via books, internet etc a couple of hours a week and try and get some ‘hands on’ in my lab at least twice a week.

Currently using the Mike Meyers A+ book and looking into some material for my MCDST studies. Trying to persuade my boss to buy some material as it would be useful for me!

My motivation is age. I am now 27 and all my life so far I have believed in ‘work to live’ and not ‘live to work’. I never thought about my career until about a year ago as I was too interested in enjoying myself. Now for some strange reason (hence why I said age) I feel I need to get up and push myself and enhance my career.

It is hard to keep motivated and find time for study, but hopefully with a bit more belief I can achieve my goals. The one thing I know is once I begin this quest for certification it will never end as certs have to be re-taken to keep up to date. I think a lot of people think they will gain their MCSE, CCNA etc and think “That’s it, done and dusted I am certified”.

Good luck to everyone else in what they are trying to achieve :)

Certifications: ITIL Certs, F.A.S.T Auditor Certs
    WIP: None - Application with Police
  15. zenboy

zenboy Bit Poster

Sorry I didn't reply sooner...got caught up in looking for jobs and studying. In response to your question, the Sybex 3rd edit 2005 covers the Service Pack 2 section on the XP exam. Save yourself some $$ by over the bookstore and read up on this section; no point in having to get the latest book when you only need a small section of it.

16. zenboy

zenboy Bit Poster

Just curious...why pursue MCDST when instead you could go for all the mcse exams. If I'm not mistaken, the MCDST does not apply toward the MCSE if you shall pursue it in the future.
    As for the A+ and Network+, I would recommend the Meyer's books; I used it to pass the exams. I also downloaded the freebies from Techexams.net and Cramsessions.com (sorry if I sound like I'm promoting other sites; which I'm not). They both have excellent material for these two exams.
    Good luck in your study.

17. zenboy

zenboy Bit Poster

How the heck do you find time to study when you have a job and a baby soon? So much pressure! I'm a newly wedded, and most of my time goes toward find a job and studying....but manages to find some moments of *hug time* for my lady (that's what she calls it)..hehe :oops: I guess there are some who could managed time better than I. :biggrin

18. mojorisin

mojorisin Kilobyte Poster

got 2 kids already so time can be hard to find and thats what makes the studying take a back seat most of the time

That and my "good lady" telling me to get of the pc !!!:biggrin

WIP: Microsoft 365 Identity and Services MD-100
  19. corbpm

corbpm Bit Poster

Cramsession 2 book and sybex book arrived spent dinner hour sat in car away from every1 reading about remote installs etc from cramsession book, will read the appropriate bit of the sybex book tonight

Certifications: 70-290
    WIP: 70-270 then onwards to MCSE
  20. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

In the car??? :blink

Nice Sig BTW!