70-215 QOTD 30/04/04

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by AJ, Apr 30, 2004.

1. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Your company has a main office and 50 branch offices. The main office has a private network with 1,000 computers. Each branch office has a private network with between 10 and 20 computers and a 56-Kbps connection to the Internet. The company plans to use the Network Address Translation (NAT) feature of Routing and Remote Access to provide each office with access to the Internet. When you test this configuration, you discover that connections cannot be made to sites by using fully qualified domain names. However, connections can be made to these sites by using their IP addresses. You want to be able to make connections by using fully qualified domain names. You should configure the computers on each of the branch office networks with the address of:

a. a DNS server on the Internet

b. a DNS server in either office

c. all DNS servers in both offices

d. a DNS server in the RAS computer

Answer tomorrow

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  2. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I will choose B for this. :?:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  3. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

I dont like C or D... A would work if you were connecting to an ISP via dial up, but as we're using NAT through R & RA SO wont choose that one.

Leaves me with B

(Typical MS question.... none of the answers quite sound right!) :wink: :roll: :)

Certifications: See my signature...
    WIP: Maybe re-certify my CCNA
  4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

I go B as well

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I guess B but the wording is confusing to me (it's early here). There are 50 offices. What do you mean in "either" office or, as far as C is concerned "both" offices. It seems to me that each of the 50 offices would have to have their own DNS services as their default DNS server and maybe use the DNS server at main office as a secondary DNS server. Alternately, you could point each branch office at the DNS server at main office to do IP to name resolution. I'm not sure which choice that is, but that's what makes sense to me.

Now that I've said all that, time for me to wake up and have another cup of coffee. :gmorning

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

Those were the same thoughts as me trip, and i was awake.... :roll:

Gotta love MS to confuse you! :D

Certifications: See my signature...
    WIP: Maybe re-certify my CCNA
  7. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

OK folks time for the answer. I can see from your comments that the question might have been a little vague. Still that's the way of things, perhaps I should have made sure that the Question had a bit more info in it and the answers a bit more consise, but it certainly generated discussion and that to my way of thinking is a good thing.

Right down to facts. You are told that the main office has over 1000 pcs and I would infer from that, that they have a DNS stucture in place. You are also told that the branch offices already have a 56Kb dialup to the internet and I would infer from that that they already use an ISP to connect. Now what the question doesn't tell you is how the clients use at the moment to connect to the internet whether it is ICS, proxy server etc.

The answer is actually A because it is the simplist option

<Andrew ducks from shouts of derision>

Sorry folks but this one was set ages ago when I was trying to pass server and I got it wrong as well (I chose D).

Reasons:

B & C - too much WAN traffic

D - Too much work involved goig to all the branch offices.

I look forward to your comments (if any) about this and the remember as with all quizes the question master is never wrong unless written proof of the answer is supplies in triplicate and in person within the specied time limit. By the way I am now residing in Outer Mongolia

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

:lol: lol@ AJ :D

Nice work Mate :thumbleft

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  9. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

OK AJ fair question. I see where I went wrong, I assumed the problem was internal and chose accordingly. Upon re-re-reading the question I agree with A, a DNS server provided by the ISP is needed. Thanks. :cheers

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685