70-215 QOTD 13/10/2004

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by AJ, Oct 13, 2004.

1. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Right todays offering

This morning, your assistant Bull reports that one of the file servers in the domain has crashed. The replacement will arrive later this afternoon. The file server holds a shared folder which is a DFS link of a domain-based DFS root. This folder is heavily accessed by users. You instruct Bull to restore the content of the shared folder from a backup to another file server.
    What should you do to configure the DFS server and inform the users about the changes?

A) Nothing. DFS will redirect the users to the new shared folder location.

B) Update the DFS link, and instruct all users to access the content from the new location.

C) Nothing on the DFS server. You must manually force a AD replication across the AD forest.

D) Update the DFS link and do nothing else.

Answer Friday

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  2. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I have no idea but I think I'll go for D today.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

I go A - I think DFS is "self-healing", transparent to the user.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  4. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

D for me too.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  5. Luton Bee

Luton Bee Kilobyte Poster

D here too

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA, MCP, A+, Network+ C&G ICT
    WIP: CCNA
  6. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

D please

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  7. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

But how will it know where to link to? The way I see it is it's a completely different machine setup with different ID's and all (different name too).

That's why I chose D.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  8. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

I agree with nugget.

Jak, if another link was already available (link fault tolerance) then indeed the server would merely redirect the user's to this link once the first one has gone down.

This second link in the above statement has of course been defined in Dfs.

However, in this question there is no link fault tolerance.There is no copy of this data available other than on the backup.

So once the new server is up and the backup restored, a new link would have to be created to the Dfs root.

However having said that:
    I thought about the above statement and wondered what if the server was renamed the same as the previous server that crashed.Maybe you'd want to keep it the same name because of the naming scheme of your network.
    If you did name it the same as your previous server, then would Dfs recognize the server as being back online? and just carry on as normal (ie: a new link not having to be defined)

I guess the question I need answering on that one is how does Dfs recognize where a link is from.Ip address? machine ID? Server name?

My answer to this particular question is:D

9. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Correct answer is: D

Explanation: A user who navigates through a Dfs tree does not need to know the name of the server that physically stores the resource to locate a specific resource on the network. After connecting to a Dfs root, users can browse and gain access to all resources below the root, regardless of the physical location of the server on which the resource is located.

DFS LINK

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong