70-210 OR 70-270 HELP!!

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by dutch, Oct 16, 2003.

1. dutch

dutch Bit Poster

Hi all,

I'm starting a course with nitlc in feb, i have the option of going for 70-210 or 70-270, whats everybody's opinion of which is best?

I was leaning towards xp pro as that is a more up to date os.

Anyone else agree or am i barking mad?

All opinions gratefully received :eek:

Thanks in advance. Woof Woof!

2. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I'd say go the 270 route and keep upto date with your certs. I'm going that route and others have said to me in the past that thats the best route.

:daz

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

I'd go with SimonV (and Sandy, who advised the same in a related Thread) - stay up to date.

You'd only have to upgrade the 2000 route later anyway.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2015
    Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  4. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Don't totally agree with that.Maybe you should do some research on local companies on which OS they are using.

When I've applied for jobs many of them are on NT4.0 or have only just migrated.Of course the cutting edge companies will have the latest of everything but your average everyday company with an IT department?

I'm studying 70-210 and have no qualms or worries about upgrading.To be honest there's not masses of difference so maybe it's no harm to go for the latest version.

All I'm saying is that Windows 2000 isn't exactly in the history books just yet :!:

5. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Flex

While what you say is very true Windows for Tellytubbies (XP) is really W2K version 1.1 90% of the subject matter is common to both exams.

The exam track you go for is YOUR exams not that of your customers! IMHO it is best to qualify in the most up to date exam as it will last longer, you can always pick up a manual when you need it. I do it all the time there is still a DOS manual on my desk.

The exam proves you are skilled to a level.

6. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

That's exactly why you should do XP.

Sorry I was just sticking up for my beloved Windows 2000, kind of get all emotional when that "in seasson" XP always tries to steal the show.

I run XP Pro on my laptop and to be honest there's no major differences, except where on earth have they hidden admin tools.

In conclusion go for XP dutch, excuse my whining :oops:

7. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Flex

I think XP is an operating system too far...

I have yet to be convinced that XP is any better (was the last person to have it on my desktop only cos I waved my bit of paper at out IT department)

8. AndyL

AndyL Nibble Poster

I reckon XP's worth it just for Remote Desktop, and it starts (much) faster than 2k and once you've changed the interface to look like 95/98/2K and got rid of all the my little pony cr*p it's even usable.

Certifications: MCSE 2000,2K3,MCSA:M 2000, MCSA 2K3
    WIP: Painting the doorframes.
  9. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Maybe we could have a tutorial/article outlining the differences between XP and 2000.To be honest I've never really studied the differences, so I don't want to prejudge XP, it's just that when I've messed around with it the differences aren't startingly obvious.

10. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Andy

Remote Desktop = Terminal Services I rest my case!

My XP take twice as long as it did with W2K to boot with an aditional 128Mb of ram

11. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Really?! I'd agree with most comments so far in that XP is just W2K with a pretty front end, except that I've found it light years quicker loading than any other windows OS I've used. Do you have some go faster stripes or something on your Windows 2000 box Sandy?

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  12. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Lets say I don't think out IT department did not let me install the XP on my laptop and wont give my Administrator rites to sort it out.

13. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

My 2€'s worth -

I think XP does fly up and shut down in zip time - I've got it on a PII 350 Mhz, that beats the @ss of w2k on my Athlon 1800 XP machine.

Also, I agree with Andy - switch of that off that damn "candy-floss" of a GUI, back to Classic view, and its not a bad OS.

To be fair, tho' - I also agree with Flex's point - w2k's what I'm trained in, and I'll defend it all the way :)

14. dutch

dutch Bit Poster

Thanks for the input.

I had kind of decided to go for xp pro before I posted and I suppose I just wanted someone to say I was right!!

As you say, I can always cover 2000 in another course or read up on it.

Once again, excellent advice, much appreciated by a newbie :D :D

Thank you muchly.

15. AndyL

AndyL Nibble Poster

Sandy

Remote Desktop does indeed = Terminal Services. But you can't access a Win2k pro machine using Terminal Services, whereas you can access an XP machine. Pretty handy I reckon.

You are the only person I've ever spoken to who reckons Win2k boots quicker than XP.

I rest mine.

Certifications: MCSE 2000,2K3,MCSA:M 2000, MCSA 2K3
    WIP: Painting the doorframes.
  16. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Sorry to contradict, Andy, but you can achieve it using NetMeeting with w2k - just as it comes, out the box. A mate showed me (we were both running w2k) - I was surprised and impressed.

It may not have the features of XP (not actually used it with XP yet), but the functionality is definitely there.

17. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Actually, before you blow me out of the water, Andy - I just read your post in a bit more detail :oops:

To clarify, I can't comment 100% on accessing w2k pro with Terminal Services, but what I said re NetMeeting is deff the case with Pro.

Sorry for any confusion :)