7 Years Experience, MCSA:Messaging + ITIL Foundation

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by mad_maxx, Nov 23, 2009.

1. mad_maxx

mad_maxx Bit Poster

Hi there,

I've spent the past six months working in an ITIL process management role. Prior to this I have over 7 years of experience, working in a mix of 1st, 2nd and 3rd level support.

I would like to move back into a customer facing technical role. I do not feel that my skills and talents are geared towards process design or management, and felt far happier when I was having to solve problems and deliver technical solutions to end users.

I am highly doubtful that my current employers would be willing to move me out of my current role, as they perceive me to be doing well at it.

Depending on how things go over the next few months, I am possibly going to consider looking at applying for desktop support roles.

I have acheived MCSA:Messaging and ITIL v3 foundation certification, though since working in the process management role, I find that a lot of the technical knowledge I had isn't on the tip of my tongue anymore.

If I was to apply for a desktop support role, how could I improve my credentials, and would it be unrealistic to expect a sallary of £25-27k in the Midlands?

Cheers

MaX

Certifications: MCSE:Messaging
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Well there is no harm in letting them know that you miss the hands on technical stuff and would appreciate it, if they would consider moving you back into that line of work and that you would understand if that meant a lower salary.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

For a desktop support role, yes I think 25-27k would be unrealistic in the midlands. I think for that kind of work £18-22K would be more realistic. Good luck with whatever you decide to do though matey.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

£30k+ perhaps? Depends if your Experience adds up though. (e.g you might only have limited 3rd line experience)

EDIT: Just realised you wanted a desktop support role. Why not go for third line instead? As said £25k might be too much. £20k tops IMO.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
    Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

I know it sounds terrible but I'm all about the money since having my first son this year, so I'm going into what ever pays the most and swallowing my pride. Hope it all works out for you. I believe you can get the wage you want if you are ambitious/bright enough and a good sales man (selling yourself to employers). Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  6. mad_maxx

mad_maxx Bit Poster

I'd say I've only got limited 3rd line/server support experience. Due to financial constraints I have to be careful about taking too much of a pay cut, but sometimes you have to take a step back to take a step forwards.

I have tentatively applied for some desktop support roles (Thurs) and haven't heard anything back yet? Could the fact that I am MCSA and ITIL qualified be to my disadvantage. I had a friend submit my CV (without my knowledge) for a 1st line role at his work place, and I heard nothing!

Certifications: MCSE:Messaging
  7. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

If you are an MCSA you should have the skills you need to be a Server Admin / 3rd Line. Admittedly you'll lack tons of experience but I think Sparky is dead right, if a drop in wage is too much to bear, stear clear of 2nd Line and push yourself to get 3rd.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
    Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  8. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

It’s not going to help that’s for sure. 1st line mate? Is that really what you want to be doing? It seems like you have progressed in your IT career so why not try and shift your career towards a role that will offer some technical day to day tasks to get you away from all the paperwork that the ITIL jazz offers. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Hmmn, iot could just be that you've got a bit stale in your role and that is why going back to hands-on support seems appealing. It is a difficult one as I'm almost in a similar situation i.e. did not get certs as moved into "management" and became less hands-on.

What I can say, after 18 months of job-hunting, is that if you are contemplating a move as opposed to sorting it with your current employer, is that it is a very tough market. I can only comment on my area and those I've been looking at if I moved (east Midlands is a possibility). Salaries are way down (due to glut of over qualified people chasing jobs) and recruiters are filtering very much on certs first and experience second.

In the current market I think my advice would be to follow up with a serious chat to your current employer - trying to jump ship may not be that easy.

I wish you well with whatever you decide !

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)