7 Weeks to go

Discussion in 'Network+' started by Jaron78, Apr 18, 2016.

1. Jaron78

Jaron78 Gigabyte Poster Forum Leader

Hi Guys,

I have about 7 Weeks to go till the N+

I have watched the Meyers Videos on Udemy, and I have gone through Messers as well.

Currently reading through the Meyers book while watching Udemy Videos to ensure the information is going in.

I have created a Study Plan which I seem to be getting on OK with. Any tips or advice?

Cheers

2. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

I think youre doing everything already really, have you done any practice exams?

Jaron78 likes this.
  3. Jaron78

Took one last week and got 50% so wasn't too upset with that. I have practice exams scheduled in for about 2 weeks before the exam though.

4. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Looks like you're all set to pass this one mate.. Dunno where people get the motivation, I had many certs lined up before landing my IT job, now I have the job I just find it hard to study for certs.. Prefer to learn on the job, not sure if I can get away with not doing anymore certs and just getting by on experience.. Is your N+ a requirement?

Jaron78 likes this.
  5. Jaron78

I really hope so mate.
    I am just struggling with Subnets, Remembering Cable types and a couple of other bits.

The motivation for me is that I want to move out of Desktop Support. Done it for a few years but now want to move on. N+ isn't really a requirement, more of a stepping stone for me to move towards 3rd line / Networks. Work require me to have a CCNA at least. I thought I would walk before I could run and start with the N+.

But on a side note, I am also looking at a Linux+. After that, I may follow the Cisco Route, maybe cloud based, not sure yet. Thing is with a new job, is that there is so much to take in. I was the same when I started here. Now I have been here a few months, I am starting to find the time :)

6. Jaron78

Just bought the Simulation tests from Total Seminar as well.

7. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

I have a question, how do you study? do you take notes? I hate taking notes this is what puts me off studying I find myself writing out pages of information without making much progress in get through the content of the book. Can you tell me what you do to study? might be useful.. right now I am watching training videos but eventually I will have to pick the book up and try to constructed some notes...

8. Jaron78

To be honest mate, I use a mixture. So far:

I have watched the Udemy Mike Meyers Net+ (Using One Note to take notes as and when)
    I have watched Meyers Net+ (again using Udemy)
    I am reading the Meyers official book at the moment, and then I will be reading it again and making notes in the margins etc.

I also have the notes that came with the Exam Voucher from Gracetech. I bought the Transcender practice exams (As there was a deal on the Gracetech site) and also bought the TotalSim Sim tests.

I will go through both sets of videos again a week or two before the exam.

Do you have a Study Schedule?

I REALLY struggle sometimes for motivation and often get distracted (Like now. I have just finished a chapter so I am now writing this and checking the Liverpool score).

I have 7 weeks tomorrow until the exam.

9. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Nah dont really have the luxuary of having a schedule as my kids are too unpredictable so cant get a routine going but generally I will watch pluralsight when they are in bed for a hour or so. Im only getting certs relevant to my current job tbh as I see myself there for the next few years ..unless by some miracle of God I land some sort of trainee job with career progression as at my current company it seems as though its either you work on the helpdesk or you use the door..

Jaron78 likes this.
  10. Jaron78

Makes sense mate. No kids yet (Its bad enough with a Dog and 2 Cats).
    I like your thinking. Working as an RDA (Just means 2nd Line) but I want to move on. Happy to stay at the company but I am restricted (I am the only "IT" person in the London office and they want me to help rebooting Switches etc)

However, it now turns out I have to have a CCNA to have any access to the switches. At least if I can get a CCNA, its off my own back and not tied into the company. Should a really good opportunity come along that I am not tied down to, I don't have the hassle of negotiating out of a study contract.

Do you current company not promote from within?

Ron

11. OldGuy1177

OldGuy1177 New Member

Passing N+ test isn't that hard. If you put enough time on studying, you can pass Network+ test easy. I only studied 2 weeks for it and passed it with 820 score. Most of studying videos and problems were very similar from A+ studying videos so I breeze through it.
    My only concern is.. how much can you remember after the exam? It's easy to pass exam since there are only few problems but can you explain what you've learned to other people?
    Can you explain all the terms if you were asked by someone else? In my case.. No.
    I passed test with ok score but I can't even explain half of terms I studied for without google.
    I am pretty sure I will get destroyed if my interviewer ask me about those terms and what these letters stand for. For example, if he was asking me about cable standards, I wouldn't even say all the lists. I only remember few but there are like 15 of them with different name, speed, and distance blah blah.. if you can explain stuff like that to others, you are doing great. :)

12. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

They do but competition is fierce for me to progress Id be waiting ten years. Tbh I want to get out of dealing with customers but seems unavoidable in this sector.. Really not liking helpdesk work if Im honest, just trying to hold it down for now and pray for better days

13. Jaron78

You can do it mate. I know the feeling. Hence why I am doing the exams, want to move on to more exciting stuff :)