640-811 passed

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by Mr-P, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Mr-P

Mr-P New Member

Hi

I passed the ICND today with a 951 and was just wondering if anyone could give me a few pointers on what to tackle next? I'm going to be sticking with self study and I'm not sure if I'm ready to tackle CCNP at the moment. I have very little exposure to a commercial switched environment as I'm used to working with cable plant and mostly deal with routing and addressing issues.

From posts I've read, the kit I have is not going to be sufficient for the BCMSN but I was wondering if I could possibly tackle the BSCI?

Currently in my rack:-

Routers
    2 x 2600XM
    2 x 2500
    1 x 3660

Switches
    1 x 2950T-24
    1 x 3548XL
    1 x 1912

I also have 2 x 3640, a 3620 and a 3524XL with inline power lying around which I was going to sell unless they would come in handy for future lab setups.

The other option is to look at CCDA in the meantime. Would this give me a better grounding before starting out on the CCNP study path?

Appreciate any input, thanks.

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: ?
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Getting the CCNP without much practical experience isn't going to do you a whole lot of good, careerwise. Eh, just my opinion.

The CCDA would be at your level, but truth be told, it really doesn't have a whole lot to do with the CCNP. It does help you understand some of Cisco's design theory, though...

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Congratulations on the pass 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  4. Mr-P

Mr-P New Member

Thanks for the info Michael.

I wasn't really thinking of trying for all the exams for the CCNP yet, as I know I would probably struggle with the switching side of things at least. I was considering the BSCI more so to better my knowledge on the routing side of things as I'm currently used to working with OSPF and BGP and rumour has it the network is going to be migrated to IS-IS some time soon.

From your experience would the CCDA give me a better understanding of typical commercial switched environments? My own experience of access networks is based around fibre and co-ax and as such not very useful except in another domestic cable environment. I would assume my experience of routing, mostly UBR7200 series, would be useful in most environments?

Would the kit I have already be useful enough for lab scenarios to complete the BSCI at some point? As I will look to sell some of it on if I'll have to obtain more in the future. I know the kit I have would be severely lacking for the BCMSN. Also would I need access to much kit to complete the CCDA or is it mostly theory based?

Thanks again.

@ wizard - Thanks for the congrats.

5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If you're currently getting OSPF and BGP experience, then you might be ready for the CCNP... but didn't you say you don't have much practical experience?

I've never heard of the UBR7200 series. Most companies I've worked with use the equivalent of the 1800-series and 2800-series routers... some slightly larger.

CCDA is mostly design theory.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Mr-P

Mr-P New Member

My routing experience relates to remote access diagnosis rather than implementation. Mostly around IP scope issues and routing & peering problems, which I have been doing on a daily basis for the last 4 years or so. I have no commercial experience of Ethernet switched environments, which I would imagine is the norm. All my access layer experience is based around an RF network, which is not very useful except to another cable provider.

I would probably be OK with the BSCI content from what I have read on Cisco's site but think I would struggle with the rest. I am starting to wonder if the CCDA may be a better starting point if it will give me a better understanding of typical enterprise networks.

Here is the 7200 series that I mentioned.

www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/cable/ps2211/products_data_sheet09186a0080092234.html