64 bit mobo or 32 bit

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by flex22, Nov 18, 2004.

1. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Yet another consideration. :rolleyes: :cry:

I see that 64 bit isn't that much more expensive than 32 bit.
    Therefore, would you recommend that I invest in 64 bit.
    I thought there would be a massive diff in price, but upon looking at the Overclockers site, the price diff isn't massive.

Can somebody explain this 64 bit stuff for me.I'm thick.

Ta:!:

2. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Well there a lot of difference with 64 and 32 bit Mobos. but I will let the master explain that (Phoenix) but if you ask me its a wise decision to get a 64bit Mobo but bear in mind that 64 bit software such as the new Longhorn wont be available for at least another year or so...maybe even less than that...but you can still use all the usual 32 bit apps on 64bit mobos and CPUs. but I will let Phoenix explain more...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  3. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Well
    you can go the 64 bit route, its a useful route to go, being your going AMD anyway
    as noel points out, there is very little 64bit windows programs and such as of yet, even 64bit XP is a while off (still in beta) but its getting there, and the advantage of the Clawhammer/Sledgehammer is they can run native 32bit stuff without a significant performance hit (unlike the Itaniums)

it also expands the addressable memory limits from 4GB to (lots more, but the OS's and progs/mobos dont seem to be moving past 8GB/16GB boundries)
    this was a HARD limit with 32bit processors, as they could only use 32bits of data to address memory, and they ran out of addresses obivously
    its like us adding digits to our phone numbers to increase capacity

if the price is right go for it
    but bear in mind that a) there is not really a windows 64bit OS yet, which means you wont use any 64 bit apps and likely wont get the advantages of increased memory either, however the on die memory controllers of the Clawhammers/Sledgehammers (read: Athlon64s/Opterons) should increase memory perforamnce and such)

the choice is really yours mate, personally,but the time the softwares out, the chips will be way cheaper than they are now, ill just make a call and get a second opinion from a mate who has an AthlonFX (opteron for the desktop basically, rather than Athlon64), but i think hes using the beta of XP64

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  4. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

I'll go with 64 bit then.

Thought 64 bit version of XP was out next year.
    VMWare will work ok with 64 bit won't it?Just really paranoid :oops:

Ahh this whole PC building is maddening.Just when I'd decided to go with PCI and ATX, this 64 bit issue came up.
    I could have ordered 32 bit and not even have thought about 64 bit, if I had not been reading up on stuff.

I think I'll go for the AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Winchester
    You need to scroll down a bit to see it.Well winchesters were pretty damn fine rifles, so hopefully the processors will be the same :snipersmi

And the motherboard, well, any one of these Socket 939 ones.
    I'll go for Asus, because you said they were the best ones:
    Which one, I can't decide

5. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

well if your going for 64bit

go for [size=+1]
    Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe nForce4 SLi (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard (MB-087-AS)

it has support for 3GB SATA (next generation) and 2 16x PCIe ports for SLI mode graphics cards (Very sexy, but you wont likely use it, but its a feature worth buying now if you can afford it

if cost is more of an issue and your not worried about futureproofing too much
    go for
    [/size]
    [size=+1]Asus A8V Rev.2 Deluxe (Socket 939) Wireless Edition Motherboard (MB-063-AS)[/size] , 8 quid more than the non wireless model and comes with a wireless card an antenna, dont need to use it though

6. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

I was looking at the A8N.Hmm, what a bugger though.It isn't out until early December, and I'm off work next week, grr :x
    Wonder if it's available anywhere now:!:

I had almost decided on the Rev.2 actuall Pheonix, mainly ebcause of the cool and quiet feature it specifies.

The AN8 says that it's PCI Express.So I presumed it was only PCI Express, no0t just with two slots.
    Hmm, what can I sue these two slots for, HD's? DVD-drive? etc?
    I know the basics of PCIE is increased bandwidth, so of course having two of them would be useful.
    Are these "extra" slots, and I still have enough PCI slots for everything or need.Or will two of my components have to be PCIE.
    Like I said, I'm thick :oops:

I'm going to get One of these
    Probably the top one.So maybe getting the better mobo, the A8N, would be more suited.

7. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

err flex, its not for connecting hard disks
    the SLI mode is for using special graphics cards in 'SLI' mode, a mode originaly implemented by 3dfx in thier voodoo 2 cards
    SLI means you have two powerful cards, each rendering half a screen, rather than one rendering the whole screen

and thus performance is increased
    its prob not useful unless you plan on getting two 400 quid graphics cards
    lol

8. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

I wasnt referring to SLI, I was referring to PCIE, as stated in my post.
    As you've told me before, I'd have to chnage my RAM, Processor etc if I went to PCIE.
    So my question, is (ok not hard disk) but components that use PCI architecture.Will some of ym components have to be PCIE if I get that mobo that has two PCIE slots.