64 bit & HT Technology

Discussion in 'A+' started by st giles, Sep 14, 2005.

1. st giles

st giles Nibble Poster

Hi all,
    I have a few questions regarding cpu's.
    In the Mike Meyers book he talks about the Intel Itanium and the AMD Opteron. With regard to the Itanium does it have HT Technology like the Opteron does or did that come later on with the Pentium 4's. Also why this unique OLGA ( Organic Land Grid Array ) and what does it mean? With regard to the Opteron, being that it's backward compatible with 32bit, does this mean you dont have to use a 64bit o/s to run it?
    My last question is in the tech spec of the Opteron it lists it as having a external speed range of 6.4 ghz because of the HT.
    It has a multiplier of 14-20. How is this calculated to give a internal speed range of 1.4 - 1.8 ghz? Or does it still have a 133mhz bus speed? :ohmy
    Look forward to your replies.

Certifications: none
    WIP: a+
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

um, perhaps im missing something
    but when did the Opteron get HT? HT is an intel technology in its P4s

Itaniums dont have HT
    but Pentium4 Ds do (64 bit, Dual Core and HT, so one purchased processor, is two physical cores, which are two logicial processors each, thus one of them would show up as 4 processors, or some such lark)

Opterons are 64bit, but not HT
    new Opterons are Dual core tho, and 64 bit

AFAIK :)

its possible were mixing Accronyms up, being HT both means Hyperthreading and Hyper transport (AMDs northbridge bus terminology) my post assumed you were talking about Hyperthreading, ignore it otherwise :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. st giles

st giles Nibble Poster

Hi Phoenix,
    He talks about the Opteron having Hypertransport. Sorry i should have made myself clearer. Describing it as having a built in northbridge with a direct link to other devices enabling it to transfer data at up to 6 ghz per sec.

4. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  5. st giles

st giles Nibble Poster

Thanks phoenix but that link seems to be out of date. It came up with Object Not Found but i will go to wikepedia and look directly. Thanks :thumbleft