550; Relay not allowed

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by Boycie, Sep 9, 2006.

1. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Ok, i know this has been brought up before, but I am hoping i can put this to bed. :)

Most ISP mail servers only use POP authentication, leaving SMTP for their own <line> only.

I understand why this is the case, but would just like to know what is in place between the SOHO gateway, exchange and ISP to know just this.

I recently signed up with fastmail, so no longer have the worry of depending on an ISP for mail but would like to know how it works.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Er - not quite sure what you are asking here.

ISPs usualy have two mail systems for subscribers. POP for the sub *getting* email, and SMTP for sending it. This is because the protocols fit the pattern of what is needed.

If you are authenticated to the ISP either via dialup or broadband then usualy both servers will know, either by querying RADIUS or just simply from your IP that you are OK to use the service.

If you are not logged on to your ISP and want to fetch/send email then if your ISP offers this (not all do) you usualy have to logon to the server in question by some means.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Harry,

RADUIS was the answer! It queries the IP and knows if you are on their customer base.

Thanks
    Si

4. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

Some ISP's do not allow relaying of email. When I check my work email from Charter, I use authentication. Charter allows that. If they didn't, I would have to either (1) use works webmail or (2) use Charters SMTP servers.

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Geek,

This is my point; the ISP's SMTP needs authenticating either from IP or password.

Si