1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5 volt PCI slot....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by supag33k, Feb 8, 2006.

1. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

Just a quick question about PC hardware, if you need a motherboard that still has a std PCI slot for a 5 volt PCI card
    [Canopus card] do you have to specify the voltage or does it autodetect the voltage??

I have a legacy PC using a Canopus card that is having hardware issues - the Canopus is about the only thing worth keeping.

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

First - are you sure the Canopus is 5V only? How many keyslots are cut in the edge-connector?

Second, few modern motherboard will support 5V at all - you will need to check the specs to see if your proposed motherboard will do 5V.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

yep - the Canopus card has to power a 5V 19" assembly for video - it is a DVREX professional installation worth about $5k

Everything else in the PC is slow [Celeron 3 yo], hot/cluttered [the case] or custom [RAM] it gets put aside and kept for spares for a similar unit at another site.

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff
  4. hbroomhall

As I understand it the 5V is not a power thing, but a signalling thing. How many slots are cut in the edge connector?

Harry.

5. hbroomhall

Thinking about this further, are you sure the PC 5V is powering the 19" rack unit? This seems unlikely - that rack unit should have its own power. I would expect that it is much more likely that the signalling interface between the rack and the Canopus to be standard TTL 5V, which is a different thing entirely!

EDIT: I've now looked up DVREX and realize that the 19" module is a break-out box. I would have thought that the voltage is irrelevant here.

Harry.