5.1 Surround Sound with C-Media 9880?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MFirm, Jan 18, 2009.

1. MFirm

MFirm Bit Poster

Hi

I have just brought Creative 5.1 Surround Sound System and can onyl get the subwoofer and 2 speakers working, does C-Media 9880 sound card support 5.1?

Also can anyone help me to get the system running 5.1.

Thanks

MFirm

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Is this an onboard sound card? Or a PCI sound card? Or is that the chipset you've stated?

Sometimes the newer sound cards if they don't natively support 5.1 surround sound, they'd do a "virtual" one thru software (which isn't that great).

However for about £16 you can buy a 5.1 card.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. MFirm

MFirm Bit Poster

Hi Ken

I think this is my onboard sound card, however on the back of the casing, it already has 6 coloured ports which i assumed meant that it could handle 5.1 but it doesnt???

4. Kitkatninja

Have you taken a look at the software for your sound card, normally the option to switch modes is in there.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  5. MFirm

MFirm Bit Poster

It was built in when i first got the computer, there wasnt any separate software for it. If i cant find the software, i imagine i will need to buy another??

6. Kitkatninja

If it is an onboard sound card, do a search for the make/model of the motherboard online and then download the software (if not already installed), first before buying a new audio card.

-ken