403 Forbidden (access control list)

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by JJ, Apr 25, 2007.

1. JJ

JJ New Member

Anyone know why I might be getting this message (Forbidden, Access denied by the control list). I've been trying to install sky broadband (fairly straightforward I thought) but I get this message when I try to connect to the internet.

Phoned the nice people at sky and the guy told me it was a problem with my pc, he couldn't help and to take it to PC world :eek:

I've just noticed the same message on windows media player when trying to access the the media guide or radio.

Gonna have to cancel the broadband if I don't sort it out soon.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Certifications: Btec NC, ECDL, NVQ 3 Int & Network Man
    WIP: A+
  2. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Have you got a proxy server configured in your web browser?

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  3. JJ

JJ New Member

Not that I'm aware of Stoney, how would I find out?

4. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

If your using IE, it'll be in Tools > Internet Options > and then the Connections tab.

Assuming your using your LAN you would click on LAN settings, if you have a dial up or internet connection you would need to highlight the appropriate connection and then click on settings.

The next window that opens up will tell you if the connection is configured to use a proxy.

Also, when you launch a web browser and proxy is configured you'll see it trying to contact it in the lower left hand corner of the browser.

I don't know how Sky broadband works, whether you need to route through one of their servers using proxy settings or not? Or you may have an old internet account that was configured to use a proxy still set up?

It may not be proxy related, but it sounds familiar. :dry

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  5. JJ

JJ New Member

Yes the proxy is checked, its on the aol connection, I'll uncheck it and see if this helps.

Cheers

6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

AOL connection? Oh, dear God, please say it ain't so: an AOL user on a techie board!!! :ohmy

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

What Boson said, oh and you may want to purge your PC of AOL with a cleansing fire! (ie uninstall it). :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  8. BosonMichael

...and then, pry it out of your OS with a crowbar, because uninstalling it doesn't usually uninstall everything. :dry

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  9. JJ

JJ New Member

I did uninstall aol and did a search and removed every file or folder I could find belonging to it.

It was a free trial my son put on his pc until the broadband was activated, I tried to tell him not to but he didn't listen :oops:

Could it still be hiding somewhere that wasn't found in the search?

10. BosonMichael

Be sure the trial was indeed "free", as AOL typically requires a credit card number to start your free service, and they're notorious for billing you for months after you cancel.

Perhaps your son will listen to you, now that you're unable to get him connected without an error message, huh?

11. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

You dont need to configure a proxy server if AOL is\was your ISP.

In regard to the error message you are getting what is the home page in your browser set to go to? Its not going to webmail or a 'members' area of AOL or something like that?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  12. JJ

JJ New Member

The homepage goes to a forum that he uses regularly and has done for a couple of years now.

It's driving me mad now and think son needs :behead

13. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Was the AoL connection a dial up connection? in the options do you have the choice to 'Never dial a connection'? select this.

What other connections are named on the 'Internet Connections' screen?