1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

40% off self study books

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by j1mgg, Dec 13, 2009.

1. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

Just been in Borders and all of there IT books are 30-40% off. Although a pityhe staff their it does mean we get a bargain.

Some books saw

mike meyers A+ - 40.99 reduced to £22
    Big Network+ pach was £40 reduced to about £25

there was also alot of microsoft press books

Then various other books including vista, blackberry, dummies guides and so on.

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  2. Ross

Ross Bit Poster

Is it because they are in Administration?

http://www.borders.co.uk

Certifications: I.T NVQ Levels 1 and 2, ECDL, A+, SDI, Senior SDI, ITIL, NVQ Management L3
    WIP: CompTIA N+
  3. Arroryn
    Honorary Member

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed

Yup, which is why he mentioned feeling sorry for them - I don't half either, I went into my local Borders and it was like an academic cattle market. Especially worse at this time of year. Unless a buyer is found, they basically have jobs until all the stock is sold.

It's worth noting that a lot of these books, you get at those kind of prices on Amazon et al (which partially why Borders are in all sorts of trouble in the first place).

I went to see what IT and English books they had, and even at their reduced prices, were more expensive than buying new on the web. I felt like filling my boots for the 'sake of a sale' but it wouldn't have even been false economy.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

shame, another company down the drain by the look of it. :(

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

The problem is simple they can't compete with the likes of Amazon. I popped in to see what they had and with the discount they were still a rip off. But I agree it's a shame for the staff especially this time of year.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  6. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

Looks like today is the last day and books have 90% off

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  7. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

Went into the Leeds one yesterday and it was carnage, but most of the good stuff had already gone, though I was eyeing some of the shelves....

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  8. jo74

jo74 Byte Poster

Exactly, to me it's become almost a showroom. I'll spot a book and then buy it much cheaper online. I 'discovered' a few books for my A+ there.

Certifications: A+, N+, Sec+
    WIP: CCENT, CCNA
  9. jo74

jo74 Byte Poster

So the books weren't discounted by that much? I went there and only the absolute dregs were left.

Certifications: A+, N+, Sec+
    WIP: CCENT, CCNA
  10. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

Some of them were but there was nout when I went there.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012