4 Weeks to go!

Discussion in 'Network+' started by Jaron78, May 13, 2016.

1. Jaron78

Jaron78 Gigabyte Poster Forum Leader

Morning Chaps,

Thanks for the input.
    As I said, I am using Transcender which breaks down the areas your not very strong in. I seem to be consistent in 3 areas, and not very consistent in two.

So will read up on my notes and make sure I bring myself up to speed.

Will have a look at the Pro Messer GTS book too @Juelz

2. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

I will eventually be in the market for some good testing software, do you recommend Transcender?

3. Jaron78

I like them mate Yes.

As @garycul says, they are quite hard but hopefully, once I start getting higher scores on Transcender, I will be ready for the exam.

4. LilyRose

LilyRose New Member

64 is OK, but I am sure you can do better. Study!

5. Jaron78

Jane?!?

6. Jaron78

How in depth do I need to go with Subnetting for the N+??

7. Jaron78

Bump.

8. Jaron78

Bump.

9. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Kilobyte Poster

Just have a look at a subnet cheat sheet the night before your exam. I didn't understand subnetting completely before hand. Took a 5 minute glance at a cheat sheet the night before (very fortunately) and it got me through. Don't sweat too much on subnetting.

10. Jaron78

Thank you @Pseudonym

I am OK with Subnetting to an extent.

I spent Sunday messing about with Subnets and I think I understand it to a degree. So a Subnet of 255.255.255.192 (/27 in CIDR) Can be 4 Subnets with 64 addresses. However, 2 of those addresses need to be kept. 1 for the Default Gateway and we cant use 255 so only 62 available addresses per Subnet.

I have been through Messer and Meyers and I think I have a good understanding of it. According to Meyers, the Net+ wont go that indepth into subnetting, I will get questions like using this Subnet mask, how many hosts and how many useable addresses can you have.

Just means there are other areas I can concentrate on over the next couple of weeks :)

11. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

You lose 0.0.0.0 for the broadcast address not the default gateway. /27 is mask 224, you have top three bits (27-24=3) which is 128+64+32=224. You get one subnet with 32 hosts on /27 CIDR. We haven't even covered subnets or VLSM.

12. Jaron78

Ah I see what I have done wrong there. I have only counted the two bits (128+64) rather than the three (128+64+32). Correct?

13. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Correct, you missed 32.

Sorry I meant to say you lose one host for broadcast address and one for network address.
    Network is the zero part of the host range, so not all zeros, but rather masked IP address + zeros and broadcast is all ones in the host range and XOR in the mask bits with the IP address.

https://www.countryipblocks.net/identifying-the-network-and-broadcast-address-of-a-subnet

Just do it with bits if you get stuck.

You dont get 4 subnets of 64 addresses in this example.

You could use VLSM to split the 34 addresses up into multiple subnets, still losing 2 addresses for each subnet in the process.
    http://computernetworkingnotes.com/ccna-study-guide/vlsm-tutorial-with-examples.html

The default gateway is just the address on this network of the local router/switch. Its not the network address or the broadcast address.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  14. Jaron78

Cool, nice one @dmarsh
    Thank you very much. I also have a Subnet Cheat Sheet so I will be reading up on that.

Study, Study, Study every minute of every day for the next week and half :)

Pseudonym likes this.