4 Weeks to go!

Discussion in 'Network+' started by Jaron78, May 13, 2016.

1. Jaron78

Jaron78 Gigabyte Poster Forum Leader

Hi All,

Just a little advice really.

I have the Network+ in about 4 weeks. I am hitting about 60 / 64% on the Transcender and the CBT Nuggets Selftest practice tests.

I am just finishing off the CBT Nuggets videos (11 Hours over 3 days should be fine), then I am going to read up on areas I think I am weak in (Cable types, Port Numbers etc). I am writing out Flash cards and will also go through my Meyers notes, Messer notes and try and fit in the whole Meyers course again.

Week before the exam will be Practice, Practice, Practice (In Study Mode), and then on the Sunday (Exam on the Thursday) will be Simulation Exams. If I am not hitting mid to high 80's by Tuesday, I will reschedule the exam.

Is 64% an OK average leading up to the Exam in 4 weeks??

Thanks,
    Ron

2. Goragon

Goragon New Member

How did you exam go?

3. Jaron78

Still not taken it mate. Work has been chaos, as well as BBQ's weddings and Birthdays outside of work.
    I have it booked in for the 15th July so hopefully be able to complete it then.

4. Goragon

Goragon New Member

I'm about a week into my course, I'm using learning key.

It's an online video training course

It comes with an online book but I'm finding a bit confusing at the moment, I've not done much with computers in ages I only have about 5 weeks to take it all in.

I just can't seem to remember all the specs and standards.

I did have a look at the CBT nuggets course and the guy doing that course seems to be a bit more fun and seems to explain things in my type of terms.

I've printer off all the major port number and cable specs but it's just not sinking in at the moment.

I did enjoy the sub netting course with CBT Nuggets and did start getting the hang of it but after about 2 days it's all a gobbledygook.

May be things will get easier.

5. Jaron78

There is a LOT to take in and my biggest issue at the moment is time. I sat down on Saturday and made written notes on Section 1 of Messer.

Then yesterday we spent the whole day in London so I done nothing at all.
    This weekend, we are going wedding suit shopping, then off to one of Jane's friends for dinner on Sunday.

Have you had a look at Professor Messer?

6. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

I find once you keep start-stoping studying everything previously learnt just doesnt stick.. Really is a commitment.

7. BB88

BB88 Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

Couldn't agree more with this.

Certifications: CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, MCSA: Office 365,, 70-410, 70-680
    WIP: CompTIA: Security+
  8. Jaron78

Agreed as well. Making a point of studying every day, even if its an hour on the train etc.

9. BB88

BB88 Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

Haha, my commute is too short to get a book out and also there is sod all room!

Certifications: CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, MCSA: Office 365,, 70-410, 70-680
    WIP: CompTIA: Security+
    Jaron78 likes this.
  10. Jaron78

ha ha, Cosy is it?

11. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Have you seen if there are any smartphone apps out there to assist with? Flash card games etc?

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
    Jaron78 likes this.
  12. Jaron78

I have just downloaded a couple mate. Darrell Gibson Network+ App seems pretty good!

13. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Cram is a good free app for flash cards

Jaron78 likes this.
  14. garycul

garycul Nibble Poster

Best bit of advice I can give on studying, based on personal experience. Study well and study hard but don't study for too long as things get forgotten that were learnt at the start. Studying for months on end and brushing over the same text or videos countless times doesn't achieve much. My tactic for the 70-697 which I am currently studying for is to go through the whole material quickly (I am watching the excellent course on ITDVDS) to see the basic scope of the material then I am doing the CBT Nuggets James Conrad videos at a slowish pace and labbing as I go on. I am not planning to study this for more than 6 weeks in total.

Certifications: 70-697 Configuring Windows Devices, 70-680 Configuring Windows 7, 70-687 Configuring Windows 8.1, TCP/IP ON NT4, NT 4 Server, NT4 Workstation, Windows 95, Windows 3.1, ITIL SLM Practitioner, ITIL v2 and v3 Foundation
  15. garycul

garycul Nibble Poster

As far as practice tests go in my experience for Microsoft exams....

For Windows 8.1 config exam 70-687 (my first MS exam for 16 years) I used the Measure Up test exams. Now let me tell you this. That test exam product was hell on earth. Some of the questions were so ridiculously difficult and I nearly gave up the whole thing as a bad joke. I had many hours sitting there in despair thinking how hard is all this stuff. I went into the exam with great dread wondering if I was too old for all this now. Well compared to Measure Up the exam was much easier and I passed.

Transcender tests are very detailed and much harder than the real exam also. I used the Transcender for Windows 7 config exam 70-680 and my mini test scores fluctuated wildly from 85% to once getting 0% on one mini test of 10 questions !!! The real exam was hard but I scored 841.

My conclusion is both these testing platforms prepare you well for the exam (in very different ways !)

Certifications: 70-697 Configuring Windows Devices, 70-680 Configuring Windows 7, 70-687 Configuring Windows 8.1, TCP/IP ON NT4, NT 4 Server, NT4 Workstation, Windows 95, Windows 3.1, ITIL SLM Practitioner, ITIL v2 and v3 Foundation
  16. Jaron78

So, Finally finished all my notes. I have written out some flash cards, and I am going to make a start on reading all my notes and working through practice tests. I am looking to dedicate one whole day, (probably next Sunday to focus just on Subnetting and nothing else).

Reading notes and flash cards on the train, notes and practice tests as home. Exam is end of August, if I am not hitting above 85% on practice tests, then I am going to put it back again. Good thinking or just an excuse to delay it again?

17. Jaron78

First test.....64%. Bloody Transcender. Kick in the balls that one.

18. garycul

garycul Nibble Poster

Nah....it's a good score. Transcender tests are much more difficult than the real test. They make them overly elaborate to panic you into researching the questions you got wrong. Keep at it...

Jaron78 likes this.
  19. Jaron78

Thanks mate, feel a bit better. Have just spent 20 Minutes reading up on IPsec again though so your not wrong :)

garycul likes this.
  20. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

I highly recomend you purchase the pro messer gts learning book its basically a course book. I purchases the A+ one, I hate using books with black and white pics they just arent useful. I am currently going through the Mike Meyers udemy course but thats just a warm up tbh my main tools will be pro messer and the gtslearning book.

Jaron78 likes this.