3rd Line Support for networks.

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Haroon, Oct 19, 2014.

1. Haroon

Haroon New Member

Hello world of Cert Forums,

I am Haroon Mustafa, 18 year old newly employed apprentice for a community college.

My tasks will be standard first line support, server maintenance and general PC/Laptop troubleshooting.

In the far far away future i want to become a 3rd line support technician within networks or anything computer related.
    The reason why i choose this job is because i have:
    1. Excellent communication skills
    2. Qualifications IT related
    3. Able to talk to customers
    4. Hardworking... etc etc

I would love to earn a salary 30k+ later in my career, then move on even further from there.

My question is how do i become a 3rd line support technician?

I am doing an apprenticeship which involves front line support. But what is the way to move on after that.. The best route possible?! :D:D:D

Certifications: Level 2 BTEC IT
    WIP: Level 2 Diploma in Professional Competence for IT
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

The best route possible?

Experience, experience, experience.

No point being a 3rd line engineer if you can't actually resolve the issues coming your way.

You need to earn the right to get promoted from 1st to 2nd line then to 3rd line, that can take years depending on how good you are.

As an example I have been in IT now since 1998, I have been a 3rd\4th line engineer for years and this year was promoted in to management (although I am still a techy at heart). IT wasn't my first job either, I spent 10 years in the British Army (I joined at 16, I am now 44).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. Haroon

Haroon New Member

Hello,

Okay.. Thank you. I have been told before experience is the way forward with a career. However the person who told me was talking about how important experience is In a different job type.
    It just shows how important experience is In any subject of work.

I guess I am going to complete this apprenticeship at my best. Move on from there with a permanent job within troubleshooting computers. Then keep on moving on and on.

BTW I love the amount of your certificates.. Haha

Thank you SimonD

Certifications: Level 2 BTEC IT
    WIP: Level 2 Diploma in Professional Competence for IT