3d tv

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by zxspectrum, Jun 19, 2010.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Went to currys before and they had a 3dtv in so i ask the bloke if i could have a go with the glasses. I got to watch black eyed peas in concert and i must sy i was impressed with the visuals as it felt like fergie was there right in front of me.

What i didnt like however was the price, £2199, which was a for a 46 inch tv, oh and the glasses were 60 quid a pop. I hope the prices are coming down, otherwise it will never take off like it should do.

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. ssiruuk1

ssiruuk1 Bit Poster

Yeah i've had a demo of a 3d tv in a panasonic showroom and i agree it is visually very impressive. I just cant see it catching on too quickly if prices stay that high, i think the panasonic glasses are £100 each and you only get 2 pairs with the tv in the first place. I reckon you'd be feeling pretty gutted if the kids broke them or the dog chewed them up. I also think its a technology that lends itself more to the cinema that the living room. Its very impersonal sitting there with those big headsets on - you certainly wont be talking to anyone whilst you're watching the tv...

Certifications: a+
    WIP: network+
  3. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I got into the 3D Gaming thing last year, I had seen it live at CES and thought it was fantastic, 4 months later I get the kit for myself and was so disappointed it was unreal, the lighting in my house wasn't that great for it and to put it bluntly I found the whole thing very off putting (bearing in mind I had played for hours on the Nvidia stand and knew what I was getting myself into).

I would be very hesitant in wasting money on 3D TV just at the moment, the last thing I would want to do is get home and find that the experience is no where near as good as the demo was.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  4. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

I agree. This or just to find out in few months time that technology you have is old and overpriced and there are new 3D gadgets on the market a lot better and 50% cheaper.

It is still not there imho.

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  5. Sco0t

Sco0t Byte Poster

Agreed, the only way I think 3DTV would be good if it didn't require any headset/glasses. The times I've wore 3d glasses (cinema etc..) that's fine but constantly wearing them, dont like the idea.

I heard they trialled 3D TVs without glasses but it was making the users dizzy and disorientated :rocks

Certifications: Bsc Net/Sys Support, HND Tech Support
    WIP: Network+
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I've seen a few in China. They were pretty cool... and I didn't get dizzy or disoriented.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

When you see new TVs in showrooms or displays they are always setup to get the best quality. This never reflects the real world setting of having the TV in your house.

Its kind of like when you go to a car showroom the cars always look superb but once you have actually driven the car to your house and have it parked up in the driveway it just wont look as good as it did in the showroom.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

I don't get the whole 3D TV thing, its clever yeah but I reckon after the first 5 minutes it'd just piss me off.

But then I'm watching less TV now anyway, Ashes to Ashes has finished and Dr Who's latest series finished on saturday so I'll be reading/studying/writing/anything else until a new series of Spooks appears. Might watch the odd bit of CSI if I get bored.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  9. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

There's one more Doctor Who to go, the Pandorica opens is a two parter.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  10. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Bugger, meant to say next saturday.... not enough sleep....

Maybe its just wishful thinking that they'll a) leave the floppy haired pillock looked in the bloody box and b) leave the ginger dead.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  11. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Sounds like my viewing habbits, without the csi bit. Love doctor who and ashes to ashes now ones finished and another one in a week, the mrs can have the controls back 24/7. There is nothing else on telly at the mo that is capturing me, which is good for studying of course.

By the way did I watched the ending of the USA version of Life on Mars on YT, my god was that the suckiest thing I've ever seen. Glad I didnt commit myself to that show, it was like a kids story I woke up and it was all a dream).

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  12. Sco0t

Sco0t Byte Poster

BosonMichael, how good were they compared to the ones with glasses?

I was referring to a study that was done that was done that found it had some detrimental effects, could be a load of crap.

Certifications: Bsc Net/Sys Support, HND Tech Support
    WIP: Network+
  13. BosonMichael

The ones I saw weren't in a showroom... they were in the airport. And the same ones were still there the following year.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  14. BosonMichael

Considering you don't have to wear glasses, I was pretty impressed.

The first one I saw wasn't a very large screen - just normal-sized TV. It was on a little shelf that was over my head - I remember being pretty impressed that you didn't have to be staring at it straight on to get the 3D effect. They didn't overdo the 3D effect... or, perhaps, they couldn't on such a small screen without requiring glasses.