32/64 bit

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ozzy2k7, Dec 27, 2007.

1. Ozzy2k7

Ozzy2k7 Nibble Poster

Hey,

Hope you all had a good Christmas.

I'm wanting to build a new machine but I've not done it for a while. I'm looking for a system that can take plenty of RAM. Most of the motherboards I've seen say upto 4GB but is this just based on a 32bit OS or does it make no difference the motherboard can still only take 4GB.

If the latter is true can you recommend any motherboards that can take more than 4GB.

Cheers

Ozzy

WIP: A+ Network+
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

4GB is the limit for 32bit systems - i.e. the motherboard is 32bit. Because of the way Windows is built you normaly get the use of '3 and a bit' GB when 4GB is fitted.

If you want to have more than that (why?) you need a 64bit system and also a 64bit OS.

There is a fiddle for more than 4GB on some 32bit systems, but it isn't worth the hassle.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

You can go over the 4GB limit with the Enterprise version of Server 2003 but this is obviously gonna cost you.

I have to ask, why do you need more than 4GB? Its not for a game is it! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

War Games? :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  5. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

My money's on VMs.

That's where I find I really need loads of RAM lately. In the new year I'm considering putting a load of stuff up for sale on FleaBay and putting the proceeds towards investing in an entry level SAN with two servers running ESX. I figure the servers will set me back about three grand each and, provided I get them with enough slots to expand, I can fill them up with more RAM as I need it.

Of course, I'll need to get some ESX licenses from somewhere!

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  6. Ozzy2k7

Ozzy2k7 Nibble Poster

Yeah I'm wanting a Vm machine, I'm trying to price up building my own or buying. I'm planning on putting a 64bit OS on it.

Cheers for the advise but as always I'm open to more :D

Ozzy

7. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Don't eat yellow snow

Don't put your head in a lion's mouth

Don't stick your finger in a cpu fan, done that before now and got a little chunk of skin taken away, makes a lion look like a pussy cat. :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  8. Ozzy2k7

Ozzy2k7 Nibble Poster

Ok Most advise :D