3 times Failed on 70-290

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by amithchandran, Apr 16, 2006.

1. amithchandran

amithchandran New Member

pls help me to pass 70- 290

i have failed 3 times
    score reports are
    pls help me to clear out this .

2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

What methods have you been using to prepare yourself for the exam?

We can't simply make you pass, but if you tell us how you have been studying and what you have been using we can help you.

8)

3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Like simon say's (no pun intended). Tell us how you're studying for/preparing yourself for this exam.

Are you using training materials like CBT, books, virtual machines, work, etc, etc, etc... ?

Microsoft exams aren't just theory, they measure both theory and practice now, read here.

Hope that you pass next time.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

oh, sorry to hear you failed :cry: Your scores are higher on each exam. Best of luck next time :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. amithchandran

amithchandran New Member

I used MCSE pdf documents, Prepared dumps from testking , actual tests and most of the time i spend on virtual machines by using VM ware .

Still i cant . I have a windows 2003 server + 3 windows xp clients on my VM ware.

3 times i got same questions which all i have seen and practiced in dumps . But still i dont know what is the matter?. May be the Sims in the dumps are wrong ?.

I dont know pls suggest me. I have done my 70 -290 with 953 score.

Also i have very good knowledge on the servers and work stations .

my study materials are pdfs because i dont have enough money to spend for study materials.

I hope that all the friends will try to help me . And also help me to clear my doubts on SIms ( from where I can have real sims).

6. amithchandran

amithchandran New Member

used MCSE pdf documents, Prepared dumps from testking , actual tests and most of the time i spend on virtual machines by using VM ware .

Still i cant . I have a windows 2003 server + 3 windows xp clients on my VM ware.

3 times i got same questions which all i have seen and practiced in dumps . But still i dont know what is the matter?. May be the Sims in the dumps are wrong ?.

I dont know pls suggest me. I have done my 70 -270 with 953 score.

Also i have very good knowledge on the servers and work stations .

my study materials are pdfs because i dont have enough money to spend for study materials.

I hope that all the friends will try to help me . And also help me to clear my doubts on SIms ( from where I can have real sims).

7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

You are using braindumps, therein lies the problem. Not only are braindumps basically cheating, they are quite often pointing you at the wrong answers. In other words you have been duped by the vendors of this so-called training material.

Do yourself a big favour and start to take the exam process seriously. Passing these exams is not about learning the answers parrot fashion. What is the point in that? It is about learning the material and in such a way that the knowledge gleaned is useful to you and your employer. The certificate is a worthless piece of paper unless it also combined with good sound understanding and hands on practice.

If I were you, I would delete all that braindump rubbish off my hard drive and start to delve into Technet. Pay particular attention to the troubleshooting sections. Buy yourself at least two decent books on the subject and spend a few hours each day reading and learning. Get yourself a home lab where you can practice the topics you are learning. When you think you understand all the subject matter that the exam is based on, start doing some legitimate test prep exams. There is decent test prep software out there, which it a million times better than the rubbish you have subjected your mind to up until now. Transcender and MeasureUp are both really good and they are cheaper than sitting an exam three times.

Good luck!

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  8. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I'm with Bluerinse. If you knowingly use dumps then you deserve to fail. :dry

9. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I won't go into the evil's of braindumps, as they have now been explained to you. Let's focus on other methods now.

You don't have to spend alot for study material now-a-days. You'd be surprised at what the local library has instock, and if they don't have a particle book in, they can transfer that book from another library. You can get cram pdf's from cramsession, they're useful & free.

Check out e-bay they have a few books for the 70-290 (they have books for the whole series of any exam you want). Just looks and they start from £3.50 (books, not only the pdf).

Remember the 2k3 route now has sims in it, so you're going to have to know how to do the stuff and not only pick a, b, c or d. After every chapter or excerise in the books/pdf's make sure that you can do what every you've just covered. So continue to use your virtual PC's.

You may also like to check out www.amazon.co.uk you can find good study material like this one for about £23.90 which including a book as well as a training DVD.

While some of this is not free, and lets face it we all knew that this route would not be, there are ways to reduce the expense that we all have to face. Getting free cram guides, using the local library, buying second-hand books, using virtual PC's, etc... Hopefully there will be more suggestions soon from others.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  10. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

If you have seen the answers and still failed, that tends to point towards a fundamental, and quite serious, lack of understanding of the subject.

You can use your test score report to see which areas you were weak on, and focus on them.

I assume that you are new to IT since you don't know what braindumps are?
    If that is the case, then there is no quick fix - you have to get stuck into some books, get your head down and study. Even if it takes you six months. If you have failed three times, you're not ready yet.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  11. zenboy

zenboy Bit Poster

but you had enough to take the exam three times. That's enough money to buy one or two study guide book(s). You are wasting valuable time and money by trying to pass this exam the quicker way without learning the materials. It just comes to show that MS is doing something right about the exam methods so that anyone can't cheat easily.
    Like others have mentioned about braindumps, it contains dozens of errors; that is why I dropped it when I first came across it without knowing what it was. Rely on your hard effort on studying right to guide you for the exam as well as job interview time.

12. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

You can't have that much experience with Windows 2003 if your having to use braindumps. A little advice is not to come onto here saying your using braindumps as it's cheating and p*sses people off and gets you banned as well.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  13. amithchandran

amithchandran New Member

OK
    Pls tell me from where i can download pdf documents of MANAGING AND MAINTAINING SERVER . i need the complete book. pls help me to pass. This time i am not going to use brain dumps. Also I have virtual labs on my system. so i can practice as per the pdf book.

pls send me or show me the path top download it.

14. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

15. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

That's the book I'm using right now, and it's pretty good.

Thing is Simon, I think he wants something thats free . . . :)

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  16. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

£30 now could save you a lot more in the future! :biggrin

17. Japanese Elvis

Japanese Elvis Nibble Poster

Exactly!

As your sig says "at least know where to find it".

I've spent in excess of £100 on books alone so far, but it's a small price to pay for (a) having good reference material for exam prep., and (b) just having good reference material.

None of these books are what you might call a gripping read, but I'd wager you'll revisit them more than any bestseller.

As an aside, I have all these books in PDF (as they invariably come on a cd with the book) and I have never used that format - there is just something so much better about physically picking up the book and flicking through it.

There you go, that's my 2p :biggrin

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCSA Server 2003
    WIP: Get a job?
  18. GW

GW Byte Poster

I've probably spent a bit over $500 (US currency) on buying books and software to cover my pathway to MCSE, a lot of the books I got on sale by buying the books as used on Amazon.com (also available on the UK site as well) and 99% of the time the books are brand new.

The software I bought was VMWare Workstation 5 and using the 120 day evals from Microsoft I could install and configure a virtual network of at least 3 servers and 1 workstation and setting up different labs to try different things. Plus of course some Transcenders that were on sale via a packaged deal.

But keep an eye on the different used books offers on Amazon because you can really get good reference material cheap, just got the Windows Server 2003 Deployment Kit for $30.00 and the Windows 2003 Resource Kit for $85.00.

It might cost money now but in time it will be paid back as you get into better jobs with higher paychecks. It's just like college, expensive to go but I don't know how it is on your side of the pond but over here in the States most companies want a minimum of a Bachlors degree just to get an interview.

GW

Certifications: MCP x4, CompTia x3
    WIP: Cisco CCNA
  19. MrNice

MrNice Kilobyte Poster

Talk about putting the boot in... I mean this poor person has failed 3 times, cant afford training material and asks for some help and all he gets is abuse about using braindumps!
    While I dont use or particularly agree with dump sites you have to admit they are rife.

Working for a very large copier/printer manufacturer I come into contact with "IT" people every day from the IT directors of some very large companies to the solo network admin stroke bit of everything in the smallest of places. Almost every time I mention I am currently studying for a particular exam, dumps are mentioned. Quite a few people I speak to know the MCSE inside out and work on networks every day, but they can still fail exams.
    Poorly worded questioning and the "Microsoft way of doing things" can easily cost you a pass. If the pressure is on and you need that cert to stay in a job it's understandable (for me anyway) that people do everything they can to ensure that pass.

What is with the simulations they have started using? if you want to use a simulation they could at least ensure thats what it is. For example "you want to edit group policy blahblah" launch sim and hit run>gpedit and nothing happens! Oh sorry this is not the "real world" and you need to go the long winded way.
    Or indeed I done a practise question the other day for the 70-290 and all the answers looked a bit off, the explanation given had the cheek to inform me "of course in the real world this is not best practise" but it is technically possible!
    If you have ever read the small print for MCP exams you will realise Microsoft retain the right to include whatever they like in the exams, like detailed VBscripting questions in the 70-290 for example.
    My training provider is no longer able to supply me with the evaluation software normally included in MSPress books even though they are a Microsoft gold training partner! Until Microsoft sort out themselves and their exams people will always try to get the upper hand.

20. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

What’s wrong with that? Understanding scripting can save loads of time for some server administration tasks. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs