3 months in IT - Very little prior experience.

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by JohnC, Jun 12, 2017.

1. JohnC

JohnC Bit Poster

I've got very little prior experience in IT, but somehow landed a job as a technician with a great company. I currently have no certifications but plan to take the CompTIA A+ exam. Does anyone have any advice regarding what certifications I should go for first, or just any advice for IT in general.

2. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Congratulations John. A+, N+, Security+ will give you a rock solid foundation. From there you can decide what's next, Microsoft, Citrix, VMware, or maybe go the developer route who knows. So many avenues to take once you get more into IT. The only thing I'd say is don't try to run before you can walk as this is a recipe for failure. Some of these exams require a year or two in a particular role before most should sit the exam. This is just to gain experience and make it a fairer test of skills. The certs listed here however are all ideal first certs. Best of luck, Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  3. JohnC

JohnC Bit Poster

Thanks Jim. I'll be going A+ then Network+ first, as that's what is required for the next pay scale with the company I'm with.

JK2447 likes this.
  4. cybertweet

cybertweet New Member

Good luck, I'm on the same path but just don't have a role within IT yet. I've been poking around cybery website which has A+ course videos to get a sense of what it's all about!!

5. JohnC

JohnC Bit Poster

The best advice that I've been given so far is to avoid hitting too far outside of your weight class. I've been told to avoid getting too far ahead of myself, and to just roll with what's thrown at you; eventually we will learn what we need to succeed.

JK2447 likes this.
  6. Wilki0903

Wilki0903 Bit Poster

John, well done landing the job without certs. You are very lucky and you must have good self sale skills. The A+ is a great foundation course. I did it back in 2006 and it was a tough one. It took me 12 months of around 10hrs per week on top of a non IT job to pass it for me. I landed a poorly paid Technician job after this and after a few years ended up on £50k per year when i set up my own business.

After 5 years of this i took a role which was only £30k but low hours, many benefits and they include paying for certs. I've done Apple certs and Cisco CCNA R&S. since which has taken me 3.5 years to achieve. The CCNA R&S took two years alone. They did change the curriculum/exam halfway through though. My salary is only £35k now but fingers crossed i can improve this when i have a few Security Certs.

What next for me!... I have decided to take the Security route. I'm currently studying CCNA CyberSecurity and Cisco Security. I'm the manager where i work so i have the luxury of implementing security systems to improve our reflexes in the event of an attack but also to build that all important hands on knowledge and experience.

I wish you well, its really hard to keep dedicating time and effort into study. The CompTIA certs are well respected and from memory i'm sure they're compulsory for military roles/posts. If your company provide performance management/pay rises for passing courses it means they respect the courses and they respect the candidate for passing the courses. You are in a good position just keep on track and you will be successful.

James

Certifications: Cisco CCNA R&Sv3, CompTIA A+, Apple Certified Professional, Apple Certified Technical Co-Ordinator
    WIP: Cisco CCNA CyberOps, CCNA Security, VMware vsphere v6.5
    JK2447 likes this.
  7. JohnC

JohnC Bit Poster

Thanks for the words of encouragement Wilki. I'll keep trucking along; hope you do the same!

JK2447 likes this.