2nd Line Support

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by fatp, Apr 17, 2008.

1. fatp

fatp Byte Poster

Hi.

I am in first line support and am thinkin about movin on to the 'next level' ... 2nd line support.

What sort of things will I be expected to do that I didnt do in first line support (what new skills will i acquire)
    Whats the average salary for this type of work? A range would be good, e.g. 18 - 24k a year?

I know this is a tricky question as the term 'second line' varies from company to company, and role to role.

I believe I have the acquired the experience and have the right skills to progress to the next stage of my career.

FatP :)

2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi fatp, you have to some degree answered your own question with regards to second line support. The roles and responsibilities are not far fetched from 1st line support and really depends on the structure of the company in question.

I for one as an example in a second line role covering account creation, desktop and laptop build troubleshoot and image creation using ghost. I also have to configure blackberry devices, file and folder permissions in AD, network printer setup, RAS or vpn account creation and administration through citrix and minesweeper administration and network troubleshooting.

The list just goes on and on, but hey! not complaining as am learning and enjoying the challenge. To get a realistic job spec check on www.jobserve.co.uk and type in the search 2 line support. Best wishes in your endeavours and don't give up on aiming for a second line role.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Simply,

The calls that you cant do, or not allowed to do that goes to 2nd Line, will be what you would do in 2nd Line...

Obviously, varies per company...

4. Wassup

Wassup Byte Poster

As onoski said plus maybe some DNS/DHCP/AD/Exchange administration.
    If you cant fix it on the phone, then you have to go to the site.
    Today I fixed 3 printers and had to resolder a vga cable for a laptop/projector set up, as well as a couple of mailbox issues on exchange.
    Tomorrow I'm putting a new pc in a surgery for a GP, so that'll be transfer of settings/my docs/email/etc plus configuration of the clinical systems, printers and auxiliary software that are used.

I reckon you can expect somewhere around the £20K mark, depending on the company of course.

5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Depends on the size of the company.

2nd line can in some cases just focus on desktop support if there are enough users to support. However as mentioned you can also get some AD\Exchange admin thrown in as well. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs