2nd Line Support Interview

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Leey2000k, Jun 14, 2006.

1. Leey2000k

Leey2000k Bit Poster

Hi Guys, :biggrin

I have an interview tomorrow for a Computer Company for 2nd line support role - I imagine they will give me some Technical Questions - What do you think they'll be?

Any help please guys - Not been to an interview for a while. :blink

Thanks,
    Lee

Certifications: 70-271
    WIP: MCSDT
  2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

No clue to be honest but - keep cool and Good luck! 8)

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

They might ask if you would complain if too may calls were being escalated from the 1st line support guys, only kidding!

Best of luck with the interview! 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. Leey2000k

Leey2000k Bit Poster

Thanks guys! Feeling a bit nervous now! :eek:

Certifications: 70-271
    WIP: MCSDT
  5. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

you see that could be a negative thing... go in be smart and a pro and as cool as a cucumber! 8)

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  6. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

The last interview I went on for a support position (at a college), they were basic questions. I was handed a quick question sheet, about 10 questions, all having at least 2 scenarios. After 5 minutes, I was quizzed by a panel of 6 people. Although it was technical, the questions were structured more to reveal my understanding of situation heirarchy.

For example, you recieve an email from an assistant that their printer is inoperative, without lights. While you are thinking, you receive a page (!) that the 'live' video class feed just lost sound. At the same time, you answer a call concerning the connectivity to the Internet, from the Dean himself. How do you handle this? Most tech support positions, especially at smaller places (IT-wise), not only care for the technical expertise, but that you understand priority under pressure.

At another support job interview, for a server admin in an MS shop, I was peppered by everything from Active Directory to WINS to Veritas. However, this was much less support, and more administration -- at least it seemed as much *after* the interview.

Overall, I believe employers are searching for more than just techies, and their interview techniques are showing this. People skills and priority are just as much in demand -- perhaps more so, because those skills you really can't teach. Regardless, take a few deep breaths and go into this with the confidence that you can handle anything. Nobody knows everything (I know, some think they do), and the ability to rationally work through any problem (to fruition) calmly is a major boon, particularly when dealing with less technical people than yourself.

Good Luck!

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE