297 worries me

Discussion in 'Active Directory Exams' started by Crito, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Crito

Crito Banned

Customer reviews of the MS Press training kit on Amazon are less than complimentary. Looking over past posts here seems many respected forum members bombed this one first time around. None of the book stores here in town carry anything for it either, so I don't have any alternate sources for info. I'm relying completely on MS' material this time. I did sign up for the second shot offer though, FWIW. Giving myself two more weeks and then it's time to it the bullet and get it over with. Really wanted to finish my MCSE on 2003 up before the "Hero's Happen Here" launch event for Server/VS/SQL 2008, just so I could "empty my cup to fill it again anew", so to speak, but looks like I'm not going to make the Apr. 22nd deadline (that's when MS will be in Omaha.)

Any last minute advice?

http://www.amazon.com/review/produc...iewpoints=1&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

Certifications: A few
    WIP: none
  2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

im sure you'll do fine mate.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

The exam is a nightmare.

Basically you have to read through a massive case study and answer a few questions (approx 11) in 18mins or so. Then you *have* to move onto the next one.

You really need to pick up on what the solution has to be very quickly or else you will answer some of the design questions incorrectly such as how many domains you will need and how name resolution is going to be designed.

Bizarrely enough some of the questions can be answered without even reading the case study! :blink

Best of luck for the exam mate, I have my second shot booked fairly soon if I can get the time of work. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. Crito

Crito Banned

Yeah, I think the format is what worries me the most; it's so unlike the other MS exam in this track. I guess I'll practice speed reading. :rolleyes:

5. Crito

Crito Banned

Passed it this morning and am now an MCSE. My eyes were bleeding by the time I got to the last case study. :cry: A lot of useless info surrounding the important stuff. Seemed like they were testing me more on my ability to separate the two than anything else.

Anywho, you probably won't be seeing me around here much anymore. Think I'm done taking tests for now. Have to get out there and make some money. I've missed dozens of OnForce work orders because my nose was in a book. So until next time around, cya l8tr. :ende

6. Corsair

Corsair Nibble Poster

Congratulations!!!

That was fast, since the last time you passed 294.

Certifications: MCSA, MCTS, Security+, Network+
    WIP: CCNA
  7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Congrats on the pass mate :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Congrats!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. Crito

Crito Banned

Thanks...

FWIW, 297 doesn't really cover any new ground. It's more like a comprehensive or final IMHO, which is the main reason I chose it over 298 -- I originally wanted to get the security specialization too, but didn't feel like devoting the extra time to studying right now. The only thing that's really different is the format. If you're a slow reader, this one will definitely be a challenge. Heck, even if you're a fairly fast reader!