291 vs 293?

Discussion in 'Network Infrastructure' started by dcuk, Sep 6, 2006.

1. dcuk

dcuk Bit Poster

I've just finished the 291 book and am now currently going through practice exams and labs in more detail before I sit the exam.

Today whilst I was bored, I decided to flick through the 293 book and apart from certificates, it seems to be at least 50-80%291 again. I was thinking of going onto exchange for an MCSA after my 291, but as the exams seem so similar, I may move onto 293 whilst all of the stuff is fresh in my head.

I'd appreciate everyone's comments on if what I'm thinking makes sense!

dc

2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Seems like a good idea. 8)

I havent looked at the 70-293 book but there was an overlap between 70-270 and 70-290 so I know what you mean! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. SYN

SYN Bit Poster

There will be a lot of overlap due to the nature of them, whilst the 291 is an Implementing course/exam the 293 is Planning - so it goes intot he subjects of the 291 in greater detail. If you know your subject of the 291 very well it would seema logical step

Certifications: VCP,MCTS, MCSE, Security+, CIW-D
    WIP: MCITP
  4. SYN

SYN Bit Poster

im currently on the Micorsoft Security Course and there is quite a lot of overlap from the Security Foundations course - only more Certificates.. So it seems there is a lot of overlap sometimes

Certifications: VCP,MCTS, MCSE, Security+, CIW-D
    WIP: MCITP
  5. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

There is a certain amount of overlap, which makes studying for the 293 immediately after the 291 a good choice.
    But you won't get a 50-80% overlap. The 293 is far more security-centric while the 291 is mainly networking.

However there is some overlap, plus more from the 290 in terms of performance monitoring and the like.

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M