291 Passed

Discussion in 'Network Infrastructure' started by Lev Arris, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Lev Arris

Lev Arris Byte Poster

Hi all,

Sat 291 today, was actually suprised by how easy it was maybe i got an easy ride.

I read the MS-Press book and also used skillport which is an interactive site.

The MS Press book is absolutely horrible reading, I could only manage 30 minutes at a time which is probably a good way to revise. Skillport is a lot easier as you click through slides and do little simulations. However I don't think any of the alternatives cover how in depth the book goes.

Advice for the exam, know your DNS options, know how to add DNS records. Know router tables. Well really kinda just know it all I suppose hehe

Forgot to add on I downloaded WSUS but never got it running properly, however messing about with this did help for the questions.

I dont use server 2003 in anywhere near the depth that the exam demands. I have to say its essential to at least do the labs in the MS-Press book, I was aided by the fact its setup to use a modem and I have a router. This made me repeatedly go back at steps, curse the book and then re-read everything and understand it.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
    Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, MCSA (270,290,291)
    WIP: CCNA ..Global Domination
  2. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

You survived the big one

Well done

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417
  3. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Congrats and well done ! :biggrin

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Congrats!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Well done :D

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  6. daft_togger

daft_togger Nibble Poster

Finally....someone who says it's easy....I have to say your in a minority though....I sit mine in 3 weeks time..and still got RRAS to cover and server security........DNS is ok, just a lot of information to take in.

Certifications: 70-290, 70-620
    WIP: 70-291
  7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Its not easy in comparison to other other exams needed for the MCSA\MCSE however if you put the time in for your studies then no reason why you cant pass first time.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Maybe you were lucky and got a straight forward set of questions from the pool :rolleyes:

In any case, congrats on passing 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  9. Lev Arris

Lev Arris Byte Poster

I wouldn't say it was easy, just easier than people have been saying.

The hardest part I found was reading the whole book and doing all the labs in the ms-press book. I think the sheer size of the topics covered makes this exam tricky to prepare for and perhaps also the fact that I know very very few people that use all aspects of the exam in real life. Whereas 270 & 290 can rely much more on knowledge you had prior to the exam.

As always for all of the MS exams I'd recommend reading the MS book + another form of study preferably interactive

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, MCSA (270,290,291)
    WIP: CCNA ..Global Domination
  10. comp_ junkie

comp_ junkie Bit Poster

Great Job.. Congrats on Passing This Exam.....

Certifications: A+ Network+ Security+ IT PRO MCP CNST
    WIP: MCSA / CEH
  11. Maryloveus

Maryloveus Bit Poster

Plz share your experience or some resouces with us to help more and more people pass the exam.
    for example ,in your opinion ,what are the best book or practice exams for us .

At the same time ,congratulations for you .