291 Changes- SHOCKING!

Discussion in 'Network Infrastructure' started by zimbo, Aug 6, 2006.

1. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

MS is making fun of us! I got a friend who just got the new 291 book ok.. let me show you something...

The objectives from the MS site for 291:

yes like we all assume SUS!

Now open the new book and what do you find? WSUS!!!

I wonder what else is changed since the new books came out? looking at the new book its changed alot - more diagrams and practices...

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  2. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Oh, looks like WSUS will be on my study plan in the next few weeks...

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

:twisted: :twisted: so effectively i got a boxed set of books that are useless! This is the last time in my life im getting a boxed set from now on book per exam! :dry :rolleyes: :ohmy

4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I recently bought a boxed set of core books from Amazon. Although they are up to date, i did wonder if i was buying them too early. I won't replace them, and Zim i wouldn't bother either. As long as we keep an eye on the objectives we can always read up on any other bits and bobs added.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

I did the exact same thing Zimbo. Think the 70-273/274 books will be wasted anyway. If I get round to the MCSE, it will probably be on the Vista path, after upgrading my MCSA.

6. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

try get hold of one of the new books its shocking how much has changed and we not even told!:eek:

Also has anyone noticed that the electives in the MCSE and MCSA have changed too.. some have been thrown in and some thrown out!

Im really ticked off i mean next time MS press want to release books we have to get the hint oh upgrade... si if i continue to MCSE im going to get the new 293 and 294 books....

7. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

You can't use the MCDST towards the MCSE, right?

8. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

yes that was like that before...:rolleyes:

9. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Thought so, was just checking. :)

I remember way back when I started the study, I looked at doing an elective for the MCSA that I would be able to carry over to the MCSE... oh how plans change. :biggrin

10. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

i wanted to do the same.. I think MS needs to look at its MCSE/MCSA program and give it a total revamp because the number of people who are doing it dont have the MS prerequisites and the majority will not look after networks of 5000+ users!

11. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Weren't there talks about Microsoft having a track higher than the MCSE, and making that the ultimate Certification. (Excuse my ignorance if they have already done that :) )

Are you suggesting and MCSA, then something in between the MCSA and MCSE, then the MCSE? Maybe that would be a better approach, leavuing the MCSE for the people who have experience, or will be dealing with 500+ users.

12. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

yeah something like that... and there is its called MCA - Microsoft Certified Architect link - wait for it.. you need to be 10 years in the industry and it cost $25000 to become one!

so thats 6 1/4 million dollars.... not bad hey?

13. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Wow, suppose I'd better start saving now... ten years? Might just make it. :)

14. dcuk

dcuk Bit Poster

I was also considering holding out on the 4 box set for the upgraded books, but figured I'd loose too much time on studying. So is there a simple guide as to what has changed between the course re-adjustments (Zimbo any chance of drafting a short list for those of us who don't have access to the new book?). There's always the chance of getting the pdf's off a friend, hell I think that MS owe us considering that we already own one copy of the book, it would be nice though for them to produce an addendum.

Also have any of the other books changed, I've still got two more to go through (293 and 294?).

thanks for the heads up, never got anything through from MS from thier MCP program e-mails!

dc

p.s. 290 was so bad, it really needed a re-write

15. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

look if you going to do the rest of MCSE you might as well look at the new books for 293 and 294 - you dont need to buy the boxed set..