290 VS 270

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by techtr0n1c, Dec 2, 2006.

1. techtr0n1c

techtr0n1c Bit Poster

Hi guys im just wondering if some one could advice me which is the easier exam?

Certifications: HNC Computer Networking, Network+
    WIP: A+, 70-290, 70-270,CCNA
  2. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

The general consensus is that on the MCSA/MCSE track the exams get harder as you go along. So starting with 270 being the easiest, 290 a bit harder than 270, and 291 being an absolute bitch!

However, it also depends on your experience with using Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 and how they weigh up against one another.

HTH Paul

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  3. techtr0n1c

techtr0n1c Bit Poster

Thanks for the advice, i did a crappy course in xp at college, i dont think its quite at 270 standards. think ill go for 290 first,

what do you guys think of Testking questions, i think they are ok for showing you the way in which questions will be asked. i know some people use them on a memorise them basis, thats cheating yourself so i disgree with that. thats my opioinion.

4. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

And cheating the exam board to pass the exam. Testking are against the rules and if found to have used them... for any reason, you can have your certs taken away.

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  5. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Just two points...

290 IMO builds on terms and technology from 270 so i think you should do that one first instead of 290.

Second those questions you have mentioned are called braindumps and like you have said and has been said are illegal and cheating. DONT USE THEM! :biggrin

ps not more braindump talk now....

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  6. Venice

Venice Bit Poster

For some reason, I found the 290 a *lot* easier than the 270

The 270 seemed to ask really obscure trick questions whereas the Server exam seemed to actually be asking me about the subject matter?

I've passed 4 Microsoft Exams now using only the MS Pressbooks and the Measure-up questions which come with them. It feels much more satisfactory knowing that you've obtained your passes simply by learning all the material, and it's probably also the cheapest option as I know many of us are on tight budgets.

Certifications: MCDST, MCSA 2003, MCSE 2003
    WIP: tbc
  7. techtr0n1c

techtr0n1c Bit Poster

oooohh i didnt realise.

i do appologise, i hope ill be forgiven for mentioning such material.

8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

NP mate, glad you have seen the light :biggrin

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  9. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

But even for those who think that Testking is ok - how far would they actually get?

Not very - You really need to know the stuff - just having the qualification means nothing - you need the in-depth knowledge / experience.

If you just did testking, then you'd be a fool to yourself - and out of the job it got you within a matter of days... :eek:

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Those who think that TestKing is okay needs to have their certifications (and their membership to this forum) revoked.

You are correct that you need to know your stuff to retain a job. But in getting that job by using their certification credentials, they ruin the value of the certification for us. After hiring someone like that, an employer will say, "If a certified person is that bad, I'll no longer hire on the basis of certifications". That affects all of us, but it really hurts those who are just starting out in the IT field.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

12. Skid

Skid Bit Poster

I liken testking to these training camps i read one one forum some guy went to india for 3 weeks and just spent 16 hours a day hammering through the mcse and 3 weeks later u are quaified, it would be interesting to know just how much they know after such a course

Certifications: A+
    WIP: 70-270, MCSA
  13. techtr0n1c

techtr0n1c Bit Poster

ok, im just wishing to cover my rear here but the only reason i mentioned testking was to find out what the story with them was, for example are they good for giving you an idea as to the way in which questions are asked, by no means was i condoning or thinking of braindumping, as others have said this does more dmage to the hole industry, an industry that is already tuff (eg only hiring if you have 2 years experience) - and for some one like my self that has a great passion for IT and actually learning the content so that i can be the best that i can be. to me these qualifications arent as much about using them for apply for a job and more about setting my self challages and to learn as much as i can.

i agree people who braindump should have their qualifications removed

however im not sure where i stand on the comment
    as ive done my learning for over a year and can now afford to sit the exams so over the next 6 months i will be MCSA - thats the plan. i feel with the work i put in in the past i warrent this and im sorry if suddenly i do come out of no where and land my self a MCSA and this offends you, however ive studied this for over a year closing in on 2 and im only now able to afford to sit the exams that says i have put in the work.

thats my oppion, sorry if it offends you
    Liam

14. BosonMichael

To be fair to those taking the A+, CompTIA recommends that it's for people without IT experience.

Now, the MCDBA (and other certifications) is a different matter. Those certifications were originally designed to prove that you already have real-world experience with a technology... not that you are now ready to start gaining real-world experience with a technology. So again, we agree. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  15. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Yes thats how its supposed to be - but in real world is it? I started my MCSA with just under 6 months of hardware support - i did nothing before on Server 2003! Ok im one exam away from MCSA but i feel i know enough to be called an MCSA - regardless of my limited experience. Why do you think im not going for MCSE? Its useless to me because i have no experience! Times are changing and people want to see some papers before giving you a first job - dont forget that! :(

Edit: BTW i started MCSA in Oct last year - 270 went down in 2 months, 290 in 3 and 291 is taking a lot longer - so im taking nearly a whole 1 1/2 years for MCSA!

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  16. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

:oops: Yes, but as you say you've got some experience haven't you!
    I was referring to people who haven't done any reading/ studying and literally just use the braindumps to get the certification!!

Oh my, this is a really sensitive subject - basically my point is that i'm anti brain dumps - you get?? It wasn't meant as an insult to you (or anyone on here for that fact) :D

17. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

The thing that perhaps you don't realise techtron1c, is that braindumps don't just give you an idea of what questions are asked, they are the actual questions. This is what sets them aside from legitimate practice exam providers.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  18. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Doh! Yup - wasn't really thinking when I wrote that! But glad we agree! :)

19. BosonMichael

Is it that way in the real world? Of course not. That's why there's a problem. That's also why I disagree with your bolded statement... employers want to see some experience before giving you a first job because of the loss of worth of certifications... which, obviously, is impossible - otherwise, it'd not be your first job. That's what makes it so difficult to get a start in the IT field, my friend!

Don't get me wrong... certifications are great, and they can set you above those of the same experience level going up for the same job as you. But getting a job based on certification alone is becoming harder and harder to do... managers are wising up.

20. BosonMichael

Here's the problem... two years of studying does not equal "two years of experience". Two years of having an IT job doing those type of jobs equals "two years of experience".

Not trying to be hard on you or trying to dissuade you... I'm simply trying to let you know what is and isn't "experience", which will save you some heartache when you start applying for jobs. Employers won't consider study time as "IT experience"... they want to know how long you've actually done the job in a real-world environment.