290 tomorrow.

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by Big_nath, Feb 3, 2009.

1. -Mercury-

-Mercury- Byte Poster

Well done, congrats! :D

Certifications: MCSA|MCDST|A+|Net+
    WIP: CCENT
  2. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

Cheers buddy, good luck with yours.

Certifications: MCP, MCSA, MCSA:M, MCSE, MCTS
    WIP: A few
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Congrats mate :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Congrats on the pass :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Congrats:thumbleft

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  6. dalsoth

dalsoth Kilobyte Poster

Great news, great score! :D

Got mine next week. What were your study methods? Did you use a CBT or just the book? How much actual lab work did you do as opposed to watching videos or reading?

Have you considered going for the MCDST as an alternative to the Vista and 291? I am stuck as to which of those 3 i go for next on the way to MCSA. Got to pass first though. A scrape through would be good enough for me :p

Certifications: MCSE, MCP, MCDST, MCSA, ITIL v3
    WIP: MCITP EA
  7. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

Good luck with the exam, you'll be fine.

I'm not really to interested in the MCDST as don't really use XP too much where i work anymore, it's mostly vista. I want to do the 620 and 291, i'm half thinking the 620 will be easier than the 291, so it is a bit of a break. But on the other hand the 291 gets me closer the getting the MCSA.

My study methods were pretty basic. I do alot of the stuff you learn in the 290 at work quite a bit, so that made it easier. I used the MS press book, the sybex book and the Windows server 2003 inside out book (some better explainations). I didn't use a CBT for this exam. I have a VMware setup with 2 Server and 2 clients. I used Craigie's study guide. I studied for about 2 hours a night, i would usually cover a chapter in the MS book and cross reference it with the other 2 books. Then mess around with the chapter subject in the VMware.

There wasn't any real dominant objectives in the exam, it was a pretty even mix.

8. dalsoth

dalsoth Kilobyte Poster

Cheers for the advice. I have been using a single pc for a server with a single pc client but will add another server and client i think.

I do most of this also at work but there are bits you never really use much as you may have 3rd party software performing some of the tasks windows can do such as BackupExec instead of NT Backup etc... Either way it's pretty straight forward so hopefully the q's in the exam play nice with me.

I had also started a CBT before i read Craigies guide so i kinda started the wrong way around. Am doing the book now working through all of the tasks and playing about with settings to really drill things into my head.

Oh and forgot to say, perhaps it would be better for you to take on the beast 70-291 while the 290 is still fresh in memory? Get the harder one out of the way. Vista has been mentioned as perhaps slightly easier than 70-270 on another thread. I would expect many parts of it will mirror 70-270 anyway.

9. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

yeah your probably right, i'll probably do the 291.

10. NWD

NWD Bit Poster

I passed 290 yesterday too yeeeyyy :biggrin:biggrin

Certifications: MCSE, VCP
    WIP: 70-649
  11. dalsoth

dalsoth Kilobyte Poster

Congrats on the pass! :D

12. StormTHX

StormTHX Byte Poster

:DCongrats on the pass! It wouldn't be worth it if you weren't sweating it!

Certifications: MCDST, MCP (210), A+, ITIL Foundations
    WIP: Taking a break then onto MCSE
  13. madecert

madecert Banned

Woo congrats!