?!?!

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Daniel, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Daniel

Daniel Byte Poster

Basically, does this sound about right?

I'm aiming to complete 70-270 in about 3 months, doing roughly about 2 - 4 hours a day.

I am taking it in and going over what I've done to make sure I've understood it, but I mean, I'm about half way through the LabSim course and just for fun I tried a mock exam, OMG?!

The questions are relevant to the course material, but jesus, for the hard questions, I looked at one for about, 10 minutes? 10 MINUTES?!

When an exam is about? 2 hours long? more? I don't know? You really feel a sense of urgency when it takes you 10 whole minutes to do a question which is apparently very relevant to the course material, when really, you look back at the course material and see that the main point you had to pick up on in that question was one line in that 'relevant' Chapter!

All I'm talking (moaning) about is, whats your tips to help me succeed?

-- Do I do more a day?
    -- Do I pay more attention to the little details?
    -- Are the questions for the actual exam, really really long and frustrating?

If anyone has had the patience to read through my rant about Microsoft's excellent course structure (I'm talking about my 70-270 book when I say Microsoft) thank you.

OH, also, I have to have completed 70-270, just before Christmas, so 20th of December. :eek:

Thank you :biggrin

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: None, but learning SEO/SEM
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

How much studying have you done so far mate and how much experience do you have supporting XP?

Don’t stress about things just now as like you said you haven’t finished studying yet. Also perhaps note down what questions you are getting wrong and study those areas in more detail.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Daniel

Daniel Byte Poster

Ive done about, a good 60% of the LabSim course.

And I've been using computers for about, 6 years. I've not really given enough background information have I :P

Basically, I have got a job as a Junior IT Technician, my dream job, they were ASKING for a school-leaver, well I have a few IT qualifications, I cant remember what they are now, but I got Distinctions in them. But, the condition is I have to get an MCP in 70-270 within 3 months, so I started in September, and they've given me until about December time :biggrin

I'm fairly confident about it all, it's just now I'm realising 1 month has past and although I've learnt a lot on the job as well as learning all day, I just want to make sure I go into the exam seriously confident.

Anyway, yes I'm very familiar with XP, its just about learning all the little bits I guess?

I really really want this :D

Sorry for the confusing reply :dry

4. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Getting used to the way Microsoft exam questions are presented does take a little getting used too and can be quite daunting at the start, my advice would be to book the exam now for say 2-3 weeks and use a second shot voucher while they are still being offered.

If when you get close to the exam you feel you need a few more days then reschedule, but with the second shot you can retake it for free so there is a little less pressure.

Also try to keep positive, mistakes can be made and I have frequently misread questions in the exam but you can go through them again, so thats one less worry.

Do you have the mspress books? My advice would be to get the mspress version of that book, and go through all the examples and labs on a Windows XP machine (or a virtual machine) 2 or 3 times, also read the chapters 2 - 3 times, again all this will help it sink in.

Best of luck

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  5. Daniel

Daniel Byte Poster

Thanks kevicho!

How does the exam process work then?

Do you just do the exam and your told if you passed or failed?

How does the scoring system work?

Do they show you were you went wrong?

Also, thanks again guys :)!

6. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

For every MS exam (AFAIK) you need a score of 700 points. MS does not tell 'us' how the scoring system works. Do you get points for partly correct questions (choose 3 and you have 2 correct and 1 wrong): well, you might, but we do not know.

You take the test using a computer based testing system. After the test you will get your score almost imidiately. They will show you how you did on the different subjects, but they tell only the relative score.
    Do all questions score the same amount? No one knows. Time for this exam: I think about 3 hours.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  7. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

With the MSpress book you will get a cd which contains a readyness kit, this is useful in so much as it will get you in the swing of how the exams are worded, although they are not actual exam questions they give a good indicator of how they are.

To book an exam use http://www.prometric.com/default.htm, from there you will need to register a username and password, then you will need to search for a test centre in your local area, from this you will find appointment dates.

Exams are usually 88 quid a go, http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/offers/secondshot/default.mspx are details of the second shot offer, you will need to register for this and you will receive a voucher code via email.

You will put this in the prometric website so best to set this up before you book the exam.

Hope this helps

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
  8. Daniel

Daniel Byte Poster

Cheers! :biggrin

I guess I just need to knuckle down and work my ass off 8)

Any tips that helped you guys keep going?

9. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

I would have thought the idea of not being sacked should be motivation enough :biggrin

10. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

Well, I guess they have all spelt it out for you. What you need is study study study..... We expect to hear from you that you made it. Who knows that might be the best xmas gift for us all.:D

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  11. Daniel

Daniel Byte Poster

Man, you guys are awesome :P

PROBLEM SOLVED

I did a Mock Exam today, I scored 88% :biggrin and I still have 2 months before I do the exam.

I completely over blew the whole thing, sorry guys, but I mean, the guy who is training me said it doesn't really get much harder than the questions I had.

Sorry if I wasted any of your guys time :D

But I think I've found possibly the best forum ever? I don't think I'll ever be leaving.

Expect to see me a lot! :thumbleft

AGAIN, thanks for everyones help!

12. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

What mock exam did you end up using? There's a lot of bad stuff out there... :unsure

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  13. Daniel

Daniel Byte Poster

An official Microsoft one :P

From the disc on the 70-270 book they wrote, can't get much better? xD