284 Lab

Discussion in 'Exchange Exams' started by madman045, Mar 26, 2011.

1. madman045

madman045 Kilobyte Poster

I took and failed the 284 exam yesterday, so I am going to retake it on Tuesday

The main area that needs to be worked on is the install/configure/troubleshoot section

I have seen Craigie's post on the subject, but I am trying to work out if I should just do the same, but then try and work around the MS Self Paced training kit, as reading through it, the authors seem to make assumptions and considering you supposed to be putting in practice simulating a real environment, it's not off to a good start when installing Exchange onto a domain controller

Can anyone give me any advice as I want to go over it this weekend

All the VM's i can create will be on ESXi so resources are not really an issue, finding clear guidance on the subjet is

Thanks

Andy

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290, PRINCE2 Foundation, VCA-DCV & VCA-DT
    WIP: MCSA 2008, VCP5-DCV, ITIL V3
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I would install a test Exchange 2003 environment from scratch.

Install a new domain and then add one Exchange Server and work through this technet article.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb123643(EXCHG.65).aspx

Fully understand what you are doing at each part of the installation. Also make sure you understand how to implement POP3\IMAP if necessary.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

And also know how to remove POP3/IMAP and do it while calmly telling your clients 'um no, we wont be doing that you crazy people you'
    :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  4. madman045

Thanks for the advice guys, installing a test domain as I type.

The demo CDs I have are 2003 Enterprise Server and Exchange 2003 Enterprise

Are service packs are required and should I use R2 server instead, even though they didnt come with the training material?

Also just noticed that VL versions of XP/2003 are no longer available on my Technet sub..

5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

But what about the peeps running Outlook Express? :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I dont support peeps running Outlook Express
    and never will :P

its unsupported and free, and pretty much caused virii hell for its entire existence :)

Hotmail does pop downlods, so does gmail, if you want a desktop client splurge for outlook or office 365! damn cheap ass clients :)

Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
    Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  7. madman045

Typical, there BE/O2 network cannot connect to any Microsoft based services or websites.

Anyone got access to the link Sparky posted and it's sub links that could possibly PDF them?

Thanks

Edit:

Can access Microsoft again

Sparky, I've got a DC and EX server setup, which is what that link you posted went through, I guess I also need to go through the other categories below it?

I dont have Exchange 2000/5.5 available to me for those sections

Last edited: Mar 27, 2011