270 RIS & Log On As A Batch Job

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by supernova, Oct 20, 2009.

1. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

is "Log On As A Batch Job" actually required for RIS clients or is this outdated?

i dont seem to require it on w2k3 server sp 1 to do a RIS install from, why is it mentioned in the 270 what does it actually do with regards to RIS?

cheers

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
    Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I thought only a PXE NIC was needed for the RIS client? Been a while though... :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. supernova

the ms press book for the 270 it says that RIS user requires " Log On As A Batch ", which the administrator also doesn't have by default.

However, it doesn't seem to make a difference when i try it, which makes me wonder why and i cant seem to find that out.

4. Sparky

Do you supply the administrator credentials when you pick an image after booting the RIS client?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  5. supernova

You can do , however, i have created a RISInstall group with the "Join a computer to domain" delegation, with a dedicated user under it.

but yes both work regardless of " Log On As A Batch " settings, So i wonder why i have been told by MS's book to set it and that it is required.

6. Sparky

Have you tried it with a domain user account (no delegation) to see if the RIS install fails?

7. supernova

if you don't have the "Join a computer to domain" delegation it does fail for a user it cant create the computer object. Unless you already have a computer object and the user has the right object permissions.

(obviously administrator doesn't fail and still works)

again regardless of " Log On As A Batch " settings

8. supernova

it may be a windows server 2000 or pre 2003 sp1 thing, but i cant find evidence yet.

9. Sparky

You can add computers to a domain with domain user credentials, I think this is limited to 10 computer objects for some reason.

Anyways, have you checked the local security policy on the RIS server to see who has "Log on as a batch Job" permissions?

This link explains it...
    http://www.brooksnet.com/faq/117-02.html

10. supernova

Yes you can join a installed client that way 10 times, but it doesn't work for RIS the same way.

regarding your link. administrator doesn't have "Log on as a batch Job" by default and yet works and the link has nothing to do with RIS.

I guess i'll have to ask microsoft

11. Sparky

Aye, the link was about checking the local GPO for "Log on as a batch job" permissions. Perhaps a domain GPO is granting that permission then?

I could only find references to Windows 2000 for that permission being required tbh. Error in the book perhaps?

12. supernova

I spoke to one of the other Ms press authors last night (writes some the server books).

Basically its stated to accommodate the widest number of scenarios, i believe domain admin doesn't require it.

So if you create a RIS user or group to carry out deployment its good practise even though you may not actually require it for all eventualities.

That does include 2003

Last edited: Oct 23, 2009