2621XM for CCNA

Discussion in 'Routing & Switching' started by jvanassen, Feb 18, 2015.

1. jvanassen

jvanassen Kilobyte Poster

Hi All,

Successfully passed the ICND1 back in July however i didn't stay on the horse and took a break (worst decision ever). A few weeks ago obviously decided this was getting beyond a joke now and really need to get back back into the rhythm and get on with the ICND2. I did the ICND1 with just 1 router and switch and using packet tracer. To help kick me back into gear i ordered another 3x2950's and 2x2621xm's.

I've been looking at the IOS images on my 2621xm router this evening because i couldn't find the vrrp command, i couldn't find much online either regarding this but i can online guess that i need to jump up a version on the IOS, this is potentially why the command was unrecognized? Both routers are currently running, c2600-is-mz.122-17.bin.

Anyway looking into this i have seen that these two 2621xm's i bought off eBay are running the default 96MB RAM. Which in order to upgrade the RAM it also requires a new rommon chip as the routers are on 12.2(7r) as oppose to 12.2(8r) which is required to upgrade the RAM.

I'm thinking that these routers must be part of the older batch prior to this release.......However i am looking on eBay at various CCNA lab kits and 2621xm routers and no one really tends to give this information such as the rommon chip version.

I've looked at these chips and there around £30 from what i can see, probably not essential. Tomorrow, i am going to try and load c2600-js-mz.122-34a which looks like the last version i can run with 96MB RAM and hopefully this will allow me to configure VRRP?

Just thought i would explain what i think i understand from this conundrum tonight and perhaps a more experience Cisco hardware bod can advise :)

Thanks in advance

Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, CCENT
    WIP: ICND2 200-101
  2. jvanassen

jvanassen Kilobyte Poster

anyone? :rolleyes:

Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, CCENT
    WIP: ICND2 200-101