1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2611, IOS security set 12.4: What can it do?

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by Straylight, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Straylight

Straylight Bit Poster

HI.
    I've just bought another router for the home lab. A 2611 XM. This one has the below IOS and features. Initially I just need it for the fastethernet interfaces to practise router on a stic, VLAN trunking and so on. It's a newer IOS than my other routers, which is a bonus and it appears to be the security set. So it looked a good buy. I suspect it may need more RAM but maybe later.

Down the line, I want to get into security. I have some general questions, just to get an idea of what I can do with this.

What can I do with this feature set, that I can't on the standard one on my other routers? (IOS 12.2T) From memory on my other 2 2610s.

I'm just doing the chapter on Access Lists in the Discovery course now. Do you need this security feature set to implement Access Lists or is that a standard feature on all IOS flavours?

Also, is this below version of IOS what you would need to use your router as a firewall. Or is that done with just setting up various extended Access Lists any IOS?
    Cheers.

Straylight

--
    delta#show ver
    Cisco IOS Software, C2600 Software (C2600-ADVSECURITYK9-M), Version 12.4(1a), RE
    LEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)
    Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
    Copyright (c) 1986-2005 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
    Compiled Fri 27-May-05 15:09 by hqluong
    ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.1(3r)T2, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
    System returned to ROM by power-on
    System image file is "flash:c2600-advsecurityk9-mz.124-1a.bin"

<US legal notice regarding cryptographical devices.)

Cisco 2621 (MPC860) processor (revision 0x200) with 59392K/6144K bytes of memory
    Processor board ID JAD050707W0 (2414188541)
    M860 processor: part number 0, mask 49
    2 FastEthernet interfaces
    32K bytes of NVRAM.
    16384K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)
    Configuration register is 0x2102

Certifications: CCENT
    WIP: CCNA MS 70-680
  2. bazzawood30

bazzawood30 Byte Poster

Go here the Cisco advisor tool will tell you all you need and more.

http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/CFN/jsp/index.jsp

You will be able to configure ACL`s

Certifications: ECDL,A+,N+,CCENT,CCNA,MCP,MCDST