1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2610xm - what does the xm mean and a other Q on it

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by knewbold, Dec 7, 2009.

1. knewbold

knewbold New Member

Hi
    i was told to purchase a 2610xm - instead of a 2610

Can someone please explain the difference?

The exact reason given was "incase i want to move on to voice or a ccnp"

i am interested in a voice system - but i just wondered what the difference was

thanks

karl

2. wagnerk
    Highly Decorated Member Award

wagnerk aka kitkatninja Moderator

I'm not a CISCO person, but I found this that may help you. It has the spec's and what they are on each version.

-ken

Certifications: CITP, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, PTLLS, MCT, MCITP, MCTS, MCSE, MCSA:M, MCSA, MCDST, MCP, MTA, MCAS, MOS (Master), A+, N+, S+, ACA, VCA, etc... & 2nd Degree Black Belt
    WIP: PGDip
  3. Rich165

Rich165 Bit Poster

My understanding is that Xm simply stands for extra memory, which allows a more up-to-date/feature-rich IOS to run.

I'd suggest getting the 2611Xm or 2621XM, which come with two ethernet ports instead of just one.

And for completeness..... ??Z?XM where Z indicates the processor, two being higher than one :)

Cheers
    Rich

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
    Certifications: MCSE, MCITP Server 08 & Exch07, CCNA, CCNA Sec
    WIP: ...everything else!!
  4. surfthegecko

surfthegecko Bit Poster

I can recommend the 2621XM Router, very handy for my CCNA studies, and I am not going to start the CCNA Voice track, hence why I purchased this.

Like Rich said get something with 2 ethernet ports, just saves having to buy another card for them.