22 years of IT experience

Discussion in 'Just for Laughs' started by ffreeloader, Mar 25, 2006.

1. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

and he couldn't figure this out....

:lolbang :readFAQ [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I saw that via a pointer from another site yesterday - and I'm afraid I thought 'typical'. :biggrin

In some areas of tech support there is an unwritten rule 1:

:rolleyes:

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. phoenix510

phoenix510 Byte Poster

Certifications: ECDL, MOS WORD & Excel, MCDST
    WIP: A+ & 70-270
  4. ffreeloader

LOL.

What is really weird is that they even try to make up the lie in the first place. Can they really be so dumb that they don't realize that saying they have a couple of decades of experience in IT makes them appear even dumber than if they had just acknowledged ignorance of the subject in the first place? :hhhmmm

5. hbroomhall

If they say they don't know they think they lose face. Claiming spurious knowledge and refusing to realize that they don't know gives them a warm feeling of being in control.

Or something like that.....

Harry (in full cynical mode today...)

6. ffreeloader

I guess I just don't get it. I've never thought that admitting I don't know something makes me appear stupid, as I have yet to meet the person who really does know everything. You and d-Faktor come close in computer stuff though.... :twisted:

7. hbroomhall

:biggrin <cough>

All my apparant knowledge means that I have a clearer idea of just how much I don't know......

Now where's that bottle of wine....

Harry.

8. ffreeloader

Harry,

You're a funny man.... :D :D :D

I do have to agree though. When I got my first computer I actually thought I knew quite a bit, now I realize that the more I learn all I really find out is just how ignorant I really am, and attain a better idea as to how much more I have to learn....

9. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

What a frickin' fool! 8) FBI!!

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  10. MarkN

MarkN Nibble Poster

never fall into the trap of thinking you know everything...

It's the smart people that know their limits - it's a kind of paradox really, you accumulate a certain level of knowledge which makes you realise you don't know as much as you think you do...

Learn't that the hard way!

Certifications: MCSE NT4\W2K,CNE,CCEA,ASE
    WIP: CCNA
  11. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

I admire Johnny for keeping his composure and not going for the jugular when the chance was presented again and again. It's a thing I really have to struggle against in my own job - when the customer will not realise that they are wrong, even though you present clear and consistent evidence to back up your facts.

If I may, a recent example:

Customer recently contacts our support dept. in a state of heightened rage, demanding when we will complete the transfer away from ourselves of his domain. Reading the notes on his account, I could already see that it had been done - this was confirmed with a quick whois lookup. The customer was for none of it, and protested strongly. I double-checked my facts by consulting a second whois source, and was assured I was correct. By this time, I'm, fending off legal and personal threats, and am reaching the limits of my cool. I calmly invite the customer to visit www.dnsstuff.com while we are talking, and enter his domain name in the whois option, safe in the knowledge that the veritable truth will be displayed.

However, he proceeded to mis-type the url in his address bar, and within a brief 3-second period of our call, the customer ended up on a pr0n site, with a browser hijack, and g0d knows how many virii and spyware taking over his PC. Screaming that he would sue me for all I was worth, he slammed the phone down (well, he tried, but I could hear that he dropped it 3 times :biggrin )

I enjoyed my break after that call :tongue

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity